to pick, or not to pick

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

to pick, or not to pick

Postby phildiamond » Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:48 am

I'm curious, is there no hope for the finger picker in gypsy jazz? :?
Just asking because i see so many people talking about the pick here

I just recently got into Django after a long blues phase and everyone always told me to pick there too, but i swear i could do things with the extra finger that no one else was doing around. So part of my question is: Are any of the famous gypsies finger pickers?

thanks a bunch,
Phil :)
phildiamond

Postby phildiamond » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:05 am

Well no one seems to know i guess.

I have another question, kinda off topic but i don't want to leave a bunch of threads for simple things, so here goes:

Does anyone know if the Robin Nolan Gig book has tab transcriptions of the songs? Or if not can anyone tell me what's in the book? The website told alot but i just wasn't quite sure enough hehe :o

Thanks a bunch,
Phil Diamond
phildiamond

Postby Cuimean » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:30 am

Oscar Aleman played National and Selmer guitars with fingerpicks on his right hand, and he could swing with the best of them.

I think it was Duke Ellington who said something like, "If it sounds good, it is."
Cuimean

Postby justjack » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:15 am

phildiamond wrote:Well no one seems to know i guess.

I have another question, kinda off topic but i don't want to leave a bunch of threads for simple things, so here goes:

Does anyone know if the Robin Nolan Gig book has tab transcriptions of the songs? Or if not can anyone tell me what's in the book? The website told alot but i just wasn't quite sure enough hehe :o

Thanks a bunch,
Phil Diamond

I believe it's just tab for the head- kind of a Real Book situation.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby phildiamond » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:36 pm

Well i thought about letting the thread die but i feel there needs conclusion:

Last night, i found a pick lying around the house and tried it out. I was amazed (and annoyed) to find that it sounds so much better than my fingerstyle playing :? I went out and bought the thickest pick i could find and i must say, i've never sounded better.

My final synopsis,diagnosis, whatever is that on a flat-top acoustic with big strings, picks are definitely better than fingers.
I still would say fingers for any small string electrics though :twisted:
phildiamond

Postby djangology » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:29 am

well, it would be still neat to see someone make an attempt at fingerstyle arrangements of Django tunes, such as the musette tunes maybe... regardless of how good it turns out... perhaps the problem is that fingerstyle "doesn't swing"??? as a sidenote: it is sorta cool how Gary Potter puts a little bit of fingerstyle in his solos... there might be hope for a fingerstylist. :-)
djangology

Postby justjack » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:51 am

phildiamond wrote:Well i thought about letting the thread die but i feel there needs conclusion:

Last night, i found a pick lying around the house and tried it out. I was amazed (and annoyed) to find that it sounds so much better than my fingerstyle playing :? I went out and bought the thickest pick i could find and i must say, i've never sounded better.

My final synopsis,diagnosis, whatever is that on a flat-top acoustic with big strings, picks are definitely better than fingers.
I still would say fingers for any small string electrics though.

I think the lesson here is that gypsy jazz (assuming that's what you were playing) will always sound better pickstyle. It's not a knock on fingerstyle- I've got the utmost respect for good fingerstyle players- but just an observation that certain styles inevitably foster their own technique. That's what makes them what they are, to a large extent. That's not to say, though, that you couldn't be the one to break the mold, and create something entirely new. But, if you want to play more or less authentic gypsy jazz, I'd say stick with the pick.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby woodshedder » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:50 pm

let's not forget 'Tears'. If I'm not mistaken was finger-picked by Django, no?
woodshedder

Re: to pick, or not to pick

Postby Plowboy » Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:34 am

phildiamond wrote:I'm curious, is there no hope for the finger picker in gypsy jazz? :?

You might want to check out Richard Smith-- www.richardsmithmusic.com

Although he would be the first to tell you he is no gypsy picker, he holds his own with Jorgenson in Hotclub Nashville. He is first and foremost a Chet-o-phile and uses a thumbpick and very hard acrylic nails on his first and second fingers. When he wants to do single string flat-picking, he just grips the thumbpick as if it were a flatpick and has at it.
The last CD I bought from him--"Live From Boulevard Music" with Jim Nichols--has covers of "Dark Eyes", "Nuages" and "Django's Castle".
I think he might open your eyes to the possibilities of fingerpicking and how it may be used in Gypsy Jazz.

Joe
Your own muck is good muck!
Plowboy

Postby phildiamond » Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:44 pm

Well i'm flip-flopping again,

It really seems that the best sound depends on the guitar. On my horrible, high-action, old strings fender flat top, a pick sounded better for a while, but on any guitar that's playable, fingers did sound better. I imagine it's mostly just personal because i'm used to fingers rather than a pick. Also, i think buying a 2mm pick was kinda too thick heh.
phildiamond

Postby nwilkins » Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:21 pm

If you're going to be using a pick you probably won't want to be going much thinner than 2mm. Standard Wegen picks are 3.5 and the Fattones are 5mm. Although a lot of people use thinner picks than this, they are not often less than 2mm thick because it is harder to play aggressively yet loosely with a floppier pick.
nwilkins

Postby Munkhaus » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:23 pm

Dudes...Sylvain Luc uses his fingers (and a pick sometimes) ok,so its not gypsy jazz but the guy is class.When have you heard hot club tunes sound fresher than the stuff he did with Birelli??You dont ALWAYS have to go "Joom jah joom jah" you know. :|
Munkhaus

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar