lead guitar

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

lead guitar

Postby dingo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:02 pm

i play a reasonable rhythm guitar but complete crap at lead work, help, where do i start......
dingo

Re: lead guitar

Postby crookedpinky » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Ah, if only we knew..........

Seriously though the first thing is to start getting the gypsy chord shapes and a rock solid rhythm technique under your belt. If you've got that the next thing is to learn the standard arpeggios and patterns and learn where and when these can be used. A search of this forum and our American cousins should lead to you a number of resources which are already out there.

I also found Gypsy Fire by Andreas Oberg and Robin Nolans lick books to be really helpful in a) learning patterns and b) learning them within the context of a song.

Apart from that it's a piece of piss....not. As Nev Willis says the first 15 years are the worst. Watch and learn from people like Fapy Lafertin and Tchavolo Schmitt on youtube and in particualr listen to - and try to take apart - what they play as solos. Oh and dont be to bothered about speed - go for feel and melody.

I have an idea about how to start adding to melody lines so that - eventually - it becomes a solo rather than just the melody. The technique works for me but I haven't fully thought out about how to explain it to otehrs just yet. It's on my to do list and as soon as I do I'll post it online

cheers, good luck and never, ever be put off by anything or anyone
Alan
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Re: lead guitar

Postby garcia2012 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:05 am

Thanks for a nice helping "crookedpinky"

Lead guitar licks solos Guitar Lix Interactive. Built using NetObjects Fusion 2.0.2 for Macintosh
garcia2012

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar