A total virgin!

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

A total virgin!

Postby libby58 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:55 pm

I've got a fabulous gypsyjazz guitar , I want to learn to play rythmn or la pompe ,for this I need to learn some chords is this the right way of beginning or must I 1st learn scales etc...I don't read music so must learn from tabs.Yes I know this must have been asked before so sorry for any irritation amongst good players!
libby58

Postby redblues » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Pick up Robin Nolans gig book, learn the tunes familiarise the chords, then move onto Cosimini or Horowitz, this is probably the quickest way to get moving
redblues

Re: A total virgin!

Postby deuxdoigtsgauches » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:44 pm

Yeah just learn the chords as a whole first to get yourself playing rather than learning scales yet. You shoud just learn the chords inside out for a load of tunes, and work on getting a good pompe rhythm going - Michael Horowitz's Gypsy rhythm book is quite good, and Denis Chang has made a fantastic DVD on this. You can also pick up a lot of stuff by just searching on youtube for gypsy jazz rhythm guitar etc. A lot of the older Django stuff tends to mostly have simpler chords than more modern stuff, so if you're new to it, it will be easier to start with as the rhythm section uses more simple straight major, minor and seventh chords - whereas more modern stuff will have a lot more colourful chords and substitutions that might be a bit distracting while you're trying to get your rhythm down, but it's up to you what you want to focus on each time you're practicing and no reason you can't do both concurrently.

This site has a good collection of chord charts for free.

http://nuagesdeswing.free.fr/jouer/jouer_index2b.html

This site has some good chord diagrams for the most used chord voicings in this style

http://guitarejazzmanouche.com/accords/

Also the Colin Cosimini/ Brett Lewis chord books are good, but they're quite modern chords - so there's quite a few substitutions etc in them - which isn't a problem if you know the original basic harmony, but it can help your lead playing if you know the more basic version first - best to compare with other simpler chord charts. They have quite a good system for notating the chords, complete with diagrams rather than tab.

Definitely think concentrating on rhythm is really important because you'll be playing with other people - there's an element of give and take so people will be happy to play with you if you're a good rhythm player and you learn the chords to a lot of songs - playing with other people is really important, and also really the point of learning. Working on rhythm also helps your lead playing because you will make relationships between the chords in the song (which you know from playing rhythm) and the scales and arpeggios which harmonise with them which you can use to build solos.

Finally a really good piece of software to have is Transcribe, which slows down mp3s/wav files without changing the pitch, so you can work things out by ear much more easily which you can get from seventh string software online, and they have a 30 day trial period to try it out. Tabs are helpful, but not always totally accurate and your ears always need to have the final say when you're working out a tune. There's a few tabs here to get you started http://www.hotclub.co.uk/ptab/powertab.html

Good luck, hope you're enjoying yourself.
deuxdoigtsgauches

Postby deuxdoigtsgauches » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:46 pm

By the way, those tabs are in powertab format so you need a programme called power tab editor which you can get free online. Any problems or questions pm me.
deuxdoigtsgauches

Postby predatore2005 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:04 pm

Denis Chang and Stochelo Rosenberg is posted on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170650603140

Also, Dennis is working on his new site, with digital downloads soon!
predatore2005

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar