Gypsy Jazz Rhythm Lesson

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Postby rockysteve83 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:24 am

Hi Brett, Thanks for the reply, Now the waiting game, roll on payday!!! ha
rockysteve83

Postby Thrip » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:53 pm

Hi Steve, thanks a lot. I'm glad you find it useful!

I would add that I think Stefan Wrembel's book, "Getting Into Gypsy Jazz" is very good.

Tim
Thrip

Postby rockysteve83 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:45 am

Hi Tim
Thankyou for the suggestion, I am going to order the Robin Volume 1 first of all, then when I startto feel like I am getting somewhere I will look at the Wrembel one.

Thanks again
Steve
rockysteve83

Re: Gypsy Jazz Rhythm Lesson

Postby Zoot » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:20 pm

I thought the "bad rhythm" was quite good. It's how Cabbo plays these days anyway, since he turned into jonnyhebir.com the SEO king.
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby predatore2005 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:05 pm

For me, Denis Chang and stochelo rosenberg gypsy jazz dvd instructional dvd is the BEST!
it`s posted here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170650603140
predatore2005

Postby w_lavene » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:19 pm

Hey,

I would definatly recoment Robin nolan books's altough some say they are a little simplistic, (i do not totaly agree) they are useful. Also Romane's book, well almost biblical length and complexity le' spirit manouch are great.
I bought it and i am a big fan of Romane but not of all the compositions in the book which put me of at first, but work through different sections and some great stuff. Realy useful shapes for arppegio's etc and some of the songs like Swing for Ninnie and of course one of my favorite django tunes, Montagne st genevire is great to learn all the way through and gives you ideas and concepets you may not have come across.

There some good stuff free on net and you tube, but for free but some are just plain crap and easy to get drawn into learning something which is either incorrect or not helpful, as some players think they have good knowledge but sound terrible to my ear, although i admire the time and effort they have put in trying to help others.

For chord shapes check out Grilles Manouch. again not the best playing but realy realy usefull

If in doubt listen to great players and try and recreate it by ear until your hands begin to bleed, then once healed do that again and again!!! : :)
Cambridge bases Gypsy jazz guitar player
w_lavene

Postby Engrooved » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:05 am

Big thanks from a novice who wasn't doing it right.

Question - I've managed to get things sorted at 100bpm, I understand to pick up the speed gradually, but is there an optimal (most common average) speed to aim for?
Engrooved

Previous

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar