Gypsy Jazz Rhythm Lesson

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Gypsy Jazz Rhythm Lesson

Postby Thrip » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:45 pm

Here's a short introduction to gypsy jazz rhythm guitar playing which attempts to address some of the basic errors people make when just starting out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl56Mm_6EZg
Thrip

Postby Djangoslefthandman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Cheers Tim

As usual admirable clarity and precision.
Djangoslefthandman

Postby Thrip » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:33 am

Thanks! Did you notice me trying to conceal a burp?
Thrip

Postby Djangoslefthandman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:11 pm

No, I'll have a closer look tonight.

I have noticed that when you post vids the comments tend to be about anything but the music. What you're wearing, room decor, weather outside, dog trying to get in etc. Which is why this forum is so .uk.
Shame it's so slow these days, much more fun than the US version.

In the demo you're playing absolutely square on the beat. I noticed in playing the exercises that I tend to put 2 & 4 fractionally behind the beat. Is this a stylistic variation you recognise or just rubbish playing ? Certainly sounds more authentic square on.

Cheers Ray
Djangoslefthandman

Postby Thrip » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:41 pm

I suppose it would be better square on the beat, but as I say in video I'm not trying to hold myself up as some amazing rhythm player, just trying to help those people who are just starting. I'm sure your rhythm is fine Ray :D

The concealed burp is only noticed by people who have been smoking too much, so don't worry about it!
Thrip

Postby Djangoslefthandman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:36 pm

Well I wish I'd had this advice when I was starting. Plenty of wrong turns getting on top of the style.

See you around the circuit.
Djangoslefthandman

Postby Thrip » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:19 am

Yes it's amazing how much stuff there is available now for learning the style. When I first started all I had was a few Django cassettes and a rewind button. Still, it's been good for the ear training :)
Thrip

Postby Djangoslefthandman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:22 pm

A rewind button, posh git
Djangoslefthandman

Postby Tintin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Great stuff Tim, no frills just the basics and so easy to follow.
I wish this explanation had been available some years ago.
Keep up the good work

Regards
Tintin
Tintin

Postby Thrip » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks!
Thrip

Postby C-S » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:43 pm

Cool Tim,
thats it in a nutshell.
absolutly loved the stealth burp!!
;-)
C-S

Postby delboy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:45 pm

Excellent Tim. I've just been trying to put a simple backing track together and it sounded pretty rubbish - now I know why!

Kind regards,
Derek
delboy

Postby Thrip » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:36 pm

Thank you chaps :D
Thrip

Postby rockysteve83 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:53 am

Hi Thrip, would say Hi Tim but as i am new to this forum I don't want to come across as rude.

Just would like thank you for your video, I have recently decided (last few days) that I would love to try and learn gypsy jazz. I have been playing bluesy rock stuff for the past 7 or so years and recently come across this style of music, I am hooked!!! Since Monday (5 days ago) I have not been able to stop listening / thinking about Gypsy Jazz. I thought its best to start with the rhythm and chords as thats seems to be suggested among a few GJ sites/forums. I have been tinkering around with just a couple of chords in the le pompe style all the while not realising I have been practising wrongly!! I had been playing the chick parts on the 2 & 4 as opposed to the 1 & 3...

Anyways, sorry for my ramblings, in a nutshell just would like to thankyou for your video, also would like to thank everyone on this site, you all seem really nice and helpful :)

I dont mean to write too much in a single post, but just while I am writing (should be working really, ooops) would anybody be able to help me out on selecting a book or dvd? I have been looking at either getting the robin nolan, Ian Cruickshank or Denis Chang publications, I'm just a little confused at which might be best for me? A little background, I know little (if any) theory and my style of playing currently is in the Stevie Ray / Hendrix area.
Th Robin Nolan series seems to be the ones jumping out at me at the moment as the reviews seem like they are quite good for newbies.

Apologies for my long first post, which is also probably in the wrong thread.. I didnt intend to go on for this long!! Right, back to work (while listening to Django, ha)

Steve
rockysteve83

Postby Brett » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:04 am

For a beginner the Robin Nolan books are the fastest way to get started, then complete the set with Robin's Gig Book. With those you will have all of the basics, most of the chords, and all of the basic solos for most of the songs.
Brett

Next

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar