Finger Picking and Frailing

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Finger Picking and Frailing

Postby coldwar » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:02 pm

Does anybody play GJ guitar without a pick? This might involve Flamenco- like solo playing, and "Frailing" for rhythm playing, kind of like claw-hammer banjo technique. I never could grasp a plectum for very long before it goes flying, so I especially use the Frailing technique playing chords, and practice scales and arpeggios with my thumb and first two fingers.
coldwar

Postby crookedpinky » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:34 am

I try it on ocassions but I never get the tone or volume. I've been a fingerpickers for most of my 30 odd years of guitar playing and it took a long time to get even comfortable with a Gypsy pick. I don't think any of the GJ guitars I've played are designed or are capable of being picked by fingers.

having said that I believe that Oscar Aleman could fingerpick his Maccaferri, maybe it's all down to strength in the fingers ?

Alan
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby Greg3900 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:23 pm

Joscho Stephane's father (Gunther) plays rhythm with just his Thumb!

He is the one on the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOMr2B1wGTc
Greg3900

Postby pinkgary » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:50 pm

I heard Shelly Park made a guitar for someone who finger-picked on a Sel-Mac, can't remember who though, or even if she made any compensations for him being a finger picker, so.... Not much help am i?
Keep music Evil
pinkgary

Postby coldwar » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:14 pm

:o I don't understand what a "design" for finger-style would be. I've use my thumb and first two fingers on every guitar I've ever owned, but find it to be much easier on my new Dell'Arte, because of the wide string spacing. I am tall and have very long fingers, so I'm finding with the long scale and wide neck, everything is now easier for me.

So, besides Classical / Flamenco, can someone enlighten me as to an example of a finger-style guitar would be?
coldwar

Postby Caballero » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:18 pm

There's a Dutch guy, Ed, who's been going to Samois for years, friend of my buddy John Lithgaart. He plays Django stuff with full-on flamenco technique.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby coldwar » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:24 pm

This guy plays the way I try to, but he's much better at it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKngq843 ... re=related
coldwar

Postby crookedpinky » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:44 pm

I suppose by design I meant the actual structure, e.g. bracing, of the guitar and also a relatively low action.
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar