recording standards

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

recording standards

Postby swing08 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:59 am

1st this maybe the wrong section so apologies upfront.

if i were to record a CD of jazz standards how would I cover off the royalties that could be associated with the tracks? Does anyone know what all the other gypsy bands do who record CDs (for profit)? is there a body to pay or something to write on the CD? (the songs are all > 50 years old from release).

Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:47 am

Postby Thrip » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:26 pm

Assuming you're in the UK, you need to fill out a AP2 from the Performing Rights Society

The royalties you pay are based on a percentage of the quantity of cds you press. Or something.
User avatar
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:45 pm
Location: West London

Postby Gadjo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:16 pm

Check with your CD manufacturer. Assuming you are doing a decent quantity (i.e. not a short run of CDRs) the presssing plant may take the MCPS (now PRS) money on their behalf before they will ship the CDs.

Last time we did something like this on 1000 CDs it was 1000 x £6 assumed trade price X 6%.

If you are doing it to sell on gigs and general promotion it may be better to do short run CDRs and keep your head down!
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:36 pm

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests