Problems for a beginner (squeaky picks and fingers rubbing)

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Problems for a beginner (squeaky picks and fingers rubbing)

Postby trikix » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:53 pm

The other day I went to a store to buy some plectrums. They had bone, ivory and horn ones. As I didn´t know which one to choose, I bought those three.

Then, when I got home I tried them but I found that the strings made a horrible squeak sound when I was practicing some exercices to learn the right hand position. I tried after that one of my regular plectrums and they were alright. Maybe a slightly squeak but nothing to do with the one I got with the thick plectrums.
Can anyone tell me if that´s normal or not? Do I have to get used to that squeak? Maybe I bought some shitty plectrums? They are Pickboy brand.
If you are not sure about what type of squeak I mean I can record the sound in a video and upload it.

And the other problem I´m having is that when I´m practicing scales, the front o my right hand fingers are rubbing the strings with the strings down the string I´m playing with the pick. I´ve read somewhere that this is normal and it´s a sign that you are getting the good technique but I mean...it really hurts! I peel off the skin of my fingers and have to stop playing. Please, I need someone to cheer me up and tell me that this is normal, and that the fingers won´t hurt with the time. I really hate to have to stop because of the pain, I think I´ll never get better...
trikix

Postby Ricardo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:38 pm

Your curled fingers should be scuffing the strings but only lightly brushing. Your skin will toughen, but you shouldn't really be hurting them as much as you describe. Try relaxing the wrist more. As for the plectrums, you should not have a squeek at all but some pick noise is normal. What sort of strings are you using? Heavy guage bronze acoustics may give you trouble with a thick pick.
Ricardo

Postby trikix » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:36 am

OK. I´ll try to relax more the wrist and see what happens. Maybe it´s also because I´m holding the plectrum looking at too high so my hand is too bend.

I´m using regular silver Argentine strings so I guess the squeaky sound must be because of the plectrums I bought. I´m going to buy a Wegen pick since everybody seems to agree they are the best and I´ll see if it works.
I didn´t want to buy one of them because I checked in Wegen site they cost 15? each. Anyone knows some other cheaper website to buy them?
trikix

Postby mystery_pacific » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:09 pm

trikix wrote: Anyone knows some other cheaper website to buy them?

Try eBay

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/ma111v1/m.html?_ ... rom=&_ipg=
mystery_pacific

Postby Ganondorf » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:20 am

Hi, your bone and horn picks squeek because the polished edge has been worn down, i have tried making them out of bone and that is why they dont work that good. They are great when brand new and polished but after a short while they semm to grab the strings and thats what makes the squeek. :wink:
Ganondorf

Postby crookedpinky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:23 am

for even cheaper alternatives to the Wegens etc. try

www.doctorplectrum.co.uk

Cheers and here's to a squeak free future
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar