Mistakes you've made?

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Postby Northern-Neil » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:06 pm

CB wrote:Along these lines, I would be curious which (available) Django recordings forum readers have found particularly inspirational. Djangology mentioned "Grappelli Compact Jazz". Any others?

My modest Django collection leaves me wondering what the big deal is sometimes. I take most of my inspiration from modern purveyors of the style, but because Django is so highly and broadly revered, I've always supposed I just had not connected with the right stuff.

CB

Appell Direct was the track that moved me, very quickly, from Rockabilly to Hot Club style. Some of the players in the rockabilly genre, especially Brian Setzer, play some pretty firey stuff. But that was as nothing, in my opinion, to stuff like Appel Direct, and also intros and lead ins to slower stuff such as 'In a SentimentalMood' and 'A Little Love A Little Kiss'. That has got to be the ultimate in guitar playing. I think if those tracks had been done with the recording techniques of todays players, then many people very quickly indeed would see what the big deal is!!
...Eh up, Djangologists!
Northern-Neil

Postby Rene » Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:57 pm

Regrets?
Slicing the tendon on the first finger of my left hand with an Opinel knife. What a mess...
Advice ?
Don't shake hands with a 12 foot tall double bass player before a gig. I did, and he tried to break my wrist, only in fun, I guess. I was in agony all night.
Rene

Postby weelie » Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:19 pm

Emusic has a bunch of JSP django:
http://aasearch.emusic.com/aasearch?rty ... d=10559270
(the service costs $10 a month for 40 MP3-songs)

The only Django I have at the moment is Swing de Paris, a 4-disc collection with a nice booklet (Charly Records, 1995). I think I paid less than $10 for it. http://www.alphamusic.de/2738576.html

I am a newbie myself, so I have no advice. Regrets: wish I had started playing earlier in life! I wasted my youth at a billiard hall!
weelie

Postby Plowboy » Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:28 am

weelie wrote:... I wasted my youth at a billiard hall!

Django was reputedly good at billiards. I'd be curious to see the bridge he made with his left hand--open or closed?

Welcome to the site, Weelie, and thanks for the links!
Plowboy

Postby weelie » Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:18 pm

Thanks, Plowboy!

So that's why Woody Allen put the Django-wannabe in "Sweet and lowdown" to play billiards. I wonder if Django played mostly three-cushion or other forms of pocketless billiards. I like the game, but no chance to play it here. Studied in Leuven, Belgium, 1999-2000 and I plaeyd it a lot there.

(yes, yes, I'm off-topic and in the wrong forum... I should learn to behave!)
weelie

Previous

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar