Resonator swing

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Resonator swing

Postby planetalk » Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:11 am

I fellow twangers. I just joined this forum. Great to find it.

I've been playing for decades now, and many years ago I discovered the joys of slide guitar. I started, as most, using open tunings, but gravitated back to standard and then dropped the bass string to D, where it's remained ever since.

A member of another forum I frequent recently posted a backing track of Coltrane's 'Giant Steps', a slowed down version. A few of us had a go at downloading it and overdubbing and improvisation to the impossibly twisted chord progression. After digesting the changes, I tried a couple takes on nylon, then this on my new resonator:

http://www.thatllteachyou.com/movs/giant.m3u

My technique for improvising is to simply follow the chords. Anyway, I figured you might be interested in "resonator swing".

All the best,
Kirk
planetalk

Postby angorawol » Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:00 pm

Surfing a few months agoo, I heard Willie Nelson with Swing 42, in his band there was also a slide-guitarist. Sounded great.
angorawol

Postby Campus Five » Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:06 pm

Oscar Aleman played resonator guitars, along with several other of the early jazz guitar players, such as Dickie Wells, who can be heard with the Count Basie Kansas City Six.
Campus Five

Postby Zoot » Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:09 pm

Hi Planet
Welcome to the forum
Can you change yur email address to a valid one as I'm getting your topic notification messages. Click Profile above.

Cheers
Zoot
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby benbows protege » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:45 pm

For resonator guitar stuff check out Felix Mendelsssohn's Hawaiian serenaders. The guityar player (NOt the slide) can swing like the best of the best. I heard it one afternoon on B.B.C radio two and was really impressed.
benbows protege

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar