Being Amphibious.....

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Being Amphibious.....

Postby mobiegobie » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:01 pm

SIDEBAR:
Ok first off let me explain:
A few years back a local university basketball (Shackelford I think) when interviewed about " shooting the ball with either right or left.." remarked to the interviewer " Yeah, I was being amphibious today!" (I'm sure Addmissions winched on that one)

That said: I am a dominate right-hander. My left hand, i have noticed i do little with during the day. How do I get my left hand more ambidextrous?
I mean, you can get away with ham-fisted playing left hands on blues or even some rock. You Know, that stuff you kids nowadays play! You Kids! with your Commador computers and you Atari's!

Anyway, I have been working on Arpegs., useing a hand exerciser on my left hand and running up the neck with fury as a beast unleashed(for me at least) and it is getting better!
But, can I do more?
mobiegobie

Postby justjack » Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:33 pm

The answer's in the question: take up hoops! One thing I've been thinking of is taking some beginning piano lessons, which seems like it could help in many ways. Learning to type (if you're a hunt and peck sort) is great, too; I collect old manuals (Underwoods, Remingtons, etc.), and using them can give you a nice workout, especially for those of us of the Vic 20 age.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Plowboy » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:53 am

Mobie's query brings up a question I've been meaning to ask.
Are there any GJ pickers who play upside down?
I don't mean left-handed with a restrung guitar like Hendrix.
I mean left-handed with a right-handed guitar turned upside-down.
A couple of somewhat well known people who do:
Dan Seals, a country singer formerly one-half of the rock duo, "England Dan and John Ford Coley." Not noted for his picking but a great singer and songster and a fair fingerpicker.
Also Jim Rooney, A bluegrass flatpicker who is superb but is now a big producer in Nashville.
Has anyone ran across a G-Jazz picker of this ilk? (Just a note--don't try to follow them by watching their right hand--so confusing)

As for left hand exercises--I never really put much confidence in the spring thingeys as they seem to be strength builders and working with my hands as I do, I have plenty of that. I just continually practise passages from slow to fast--you know --the mundane stuff. If I were to design an exerciser for my left hand it would be one that would build reach.
In theory, if Django could play the way he could with only 2 fingers--we should be able to play twice as much and twice as fast with all four of our digits. Right? Just proves that theories are sometimes (as in this case ) nonsense, but it still would improve my playing if I could get my pinky more involved.
For the record--I am a dominate right hander, too. I've always said if I had to wipe my arse with my left hand, I'd be one nasty-arsed sombitch.
Plowboy

Postby Djazz Nomad » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:31 am

Patrick Saussois is probably the most well known upside down player.

As for these exercise tools; why waste time fiddling around with them when you could actually be practising guitar and training right hand,co-ordination, ears, head, even buttock muscles at the same time.
8)
Djazz Nomad

Postby mobiegobie » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:46 am

Plowboy wrote:
For the record--I am a dominate right hander, too. I've always said if I had to wipe my arse with my left hand, I'd be one nasty-arsed sombitch.

:lol:

Real men I mean REAL MEN Don't wipe......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mobiegobie

Postby bwilkins » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:14 pm

If I may, here's my 2¢, from one who had the luck of the ambi-gene. Dominant on the dexter side, but can still do almost everything from the sinister side just as well. Hand-writing w/ the left is so-so, printing quite legibly but not cursive writing up to speed.

Now having said that, if your ambi theory made one whit of difference I'd be a jaw-dropping guitar player by this time, after all these decades of trying! :roll:

There's a great trad Celtic band out of Nova Scotia "Beolach" and their guitarist plays a righty upside down. Crazy to watch! Yer right, ya cant make any sense out of what he's doing by watching the r-hand.

bw
bwilkins

Postby nwilkins » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:45 pm

BW,

let me know if you ever come up to Nova Scotia and we'll sort out some kind of jam :)
nwilkins

Postby Rene » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:07 am

I remember seeing a great left handed guitarist in Bradford, who had the great good fortune (practise more like) to be able to play either a right handed guitar in a conventional style, or out of preference a left handed guitar in a lefty style. Amazing really...
Rene

Postby woodshedder » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:35 am

Plowboy wrote:...if Django could play the way he could with only 2 fingers--we should be able to play twice as much and twice as fast with all four of our digits. Right?

sometimes if i'm not zooming up to par, i eliminate some of the cooks from the kitchen and go two finger style. less is more!
woodshedder

Postby bwilkins » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:16 pm

Hey nwilkins,

It's been about 20 years since last I was over your way -- Sadly!

I keep trying to talk myself into the Celtic Colours, but have yet to make it! A fabulous array of talent you have over there, plus what they bring in.

You're in Halifax, eh? Thanks for the invite!

bw
bwilkins

Postby Rich » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:22 am

I'm left handed but play guitar in the conventional right handed style... I think this has advantaged me in most styles as i have my strong hand doing all the fretting etc. Now i've started playing more GJ where the right picking hand is very important i have had to work hard at learning to coordinate my right hand with my left (the secret to getting those chromatic runs etc..)
As for upside down players wasn't Albert King one? and apparently Hendrix could do it as well....
Rich

Postby Plowboy » Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:57 am

I'm pretty sure that Hendrix played with a guitar restrung as a left handed model. It did look odd though since he used a righty Strat a lot of the time.
Such a player is actually "mirror imaged" to a right handed player----strings still run thick to thin / top to bottom. An upside-down player's strings run thin to thick/ top to bottom.
King--I am not sure about.
Plowboy

Postby Rich » Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:54 pm

Oh yeah he definatly played with the strings strung for a left handed player, but i read somewhere that if he wanted to he could also play upside down as it were. Whether this is true or not i don't know...I also heard somewhere that he could play right handed as well, but i think that might just be rumours made up by some of his worshippers.

Anyway i think i'm dragging everyone off topic here...Django not Hendrix.
Rich

Postby Plowboy » Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:20 am

Rich wrote:Anyway i think i'm dragging everyone off topic here...Django not Hendrix.

Not at all, Rich. After all, the topic is about being "amphibious." :D
Actually, Hendrix as #1 on the Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarist list (lampooned elsewhere on this forum site) was a choice I agreed with.
Sorry--I didn't know there were rumors of his being DOUBLY "amphibious." :D
Plowboy

Postby mobiegobie » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:18 pm

Well actually we are "off topic" I was asking how I can work on my left hand to make it more in line with my dominate right hand......
mobiegobie

Next

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar