Tips for a new gypsy jazz guitarist!

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Postby Caballero » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:53 pm

Cattermole wrote:If the dvd is the one with you, the two Swedish au pairs and the alsatian then I've seen it.

Then you realise what an excellent dog trainer I am!
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Arnstein » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:40 pm

Okay, I got the Gypsy Picking-book now, and I really don't know if I should change picking style or not. I have to be ready to play again when school start(I study music) on August 21. How long will it take to change?
Arnstein

Postby BluesBopHarry » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:06 am

Arnstein,
I changed techniques about two years ago, and for me it was the single greatest thing I ever done for my playing, took a long while to learn and it was a lot, and I mean a lot, of hard work but worth every second and every bit of effort, in my opinion.
I don't think that you will be ready by the end of August...it will probably take way longer than that...you can try and use a non plectrum right hand to play at school while you get your Gypsy picking ready, a variation of Wes Montgomery's thumb style worked great for me, you just have to use more pull offs and hammer ons if you want to play fast.
I think it's really, really, very, very important not to mix Gypsy Picking with other pick techniques while youre learning.

By the way in the future if you have questions about that book why don't ask the author himself?
http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
Cheers!
BluesBopHarry

Postby Arnstein » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:17 am

BluesBopHarry wrote:Arnstein,
I changed techniques about two years ago, and for me it was the single greatest thing I ever done for my playing, took a long while to learn and it was a lot, and I mean a lot, of hard work but worth every second and every bit of effort, in my opinion.
I don't think that you will be ready by the end of August...it will probably take way longer than that...you can try and use a non plectrum right hand to play at school while you get your Gypsy picking ready, a variation of Wes Montgomery's thumb style worked great for me, you just have to use more pull offs and hammer ons if you want to play fast.
I think it's really, really, very, very important not to mix Gypsy Picking with other pick techniques while youre learning.

By the way in the future if you have questions about that book why don't ask the author himself?
http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
Cheers!

How long do you think it will take? And is it enough to just practice the examples in the book? I'm too lazy to register on the other forum :P
Arnstein

Postby BluesBopHarry » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:31 am

How long, depends on how much you practice.
It's all in the book.
Register at Djangobooks it's great!
BluesBopHarry

Previous

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar