Tips for a new gypsy jazz guitarist!

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Tips for a new gypsy jazz guitarist!

Postby Arnstein » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:13 pm

Hello!

I've been looking for a genre to play for three years now, but I've never found one that I really like until now. I checked out Django Reinhardt's music, and it was great, so I want to learn some gypsy jazz guitar. I've been playing guitar for 3 years(soon 4) and I've played some jazz standards(Blue Bossa Nova, Autumn Leaves), some Pat Metheny(Unity Village) and lately Mediterranean Sundance/Rio Ancho. What songs should I learn first? Any other tips?

Arnstein

Postby Cattermole » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:34 pm

Get the books 'Gypsy Picking' and 'Gypsy Rhythm' by Michael Horowitz, a few Django discs, tabs to the songs you like best and get stuck in.
I did and now I'm beating the women back with a stick.
"...somebody correct me please if i have said bullshits"
Cattermole

Postby Arnstein » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:49 pm

Cattermole wrote:Get the books 'Gypsy Picking' and 'Gypsy Rhythm' by Michael Horowitz, a few Django discs, tabs to the songs you like best and get stuck in.
I did and now I'm beating the women back with a stick.

Alright, will do, but I don't have money for it yet, I'm only eighteen! Will check them out when I get some money though. Thanks for the tips :)
Arnstein

Postby Barengero » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:23 pm

What you can do without money: Check out the forum on djangobooks.com website. It is packed full with informations. There are special threads about the books "Gypsy picking" and "Gypsy rhythm", too.

Best,
Barengero
Barengero

Postby BluesBopHarry » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:47 pm

Michael at Djangobooks has some great downloadable lessons for five bucks, a real bargain. I recomend you first check out the one on La pompe and the one entitled Gypsy picking. He has a few free lessons too.
There's also a large audio archive and a huge video archive on that site.
Read the treads in the forum, there's lots of info there.
Cheers!
BluesBopHarry

Postby neill » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:31 am

Not to mention loads of great tabs and info on this very site too..
neill

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:48 am

There are only 3 things you must have when starting to play this music - a guitar, a plectrum and some Django Reinhardt recordings. Those together with the information and tabs etc on this and other sites should be more than enough to get you going without the need for major expenditure on teaching manuals.

You can learn "La Pompe" simply by listening to the records and don't bother, at this stage, about "gypsy jazz chords", the Hot Club Quintet rhythm guitarists did not use them and they sound pretty good to me.

In terms of solos, there are loads of transcriptions on the net without buying books with two of the keys aspects being ornamented arpeggios and a predominance of strong downstrokes

Don't get sucked into the increasingly commercial aspects of this music until you can afford it. Just enjoy yourself learning to play the music of Django Reinhardt.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Cattermole » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:56 pm

What Teddy says is true, especially the not getting into the 'buy a book a week trip'.

However, I'd still recommend 'Gypsy Picking' above all else. That is the key to it. If you have regular access to a good player who can show you all the tricks then that is better, or you might be incredibly gifted, in which case you won't need anything.

In my case when I was starting and trying to make sense of this genre I produced nothing but unrecognisable shite. I got 'Gypsy Picking' and overnight I started to produce recognisable shite, and I still am.

Teddy has forgotten what it was like being a novice. Apparently, Teddy actually invented Gypsy Jazz (although it wasn't called that then) while serving in the trenches during the First World War and la pompe was inspired by the whooshbangwhooshbang of the German shells that rained down on the fearless Teddy as he worked out never before seen ways of getting around the fingerboard using nothing but minor arpeggios.

It might have all ended there but fate intervened in 1928 when the courageous Teddy rescued a badly injured and highly distraught Gypsy lad from his burning caravan and said "Don't worry son, I think I've got just the thing here for you". The rest, of course, is history.

Dr. Dupont is 114.
Cattermole

Postby Zoot » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:05 pm

I disagree - you should rob your parent credit cards and buy all the books in the hotclub shop now.

KA KA CHING
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby Zoot » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:08 pm

By the way - Welcome aboard the Hotclub Forum

All the best
Zoot
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby Caballero » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:47 pm

I have a stick to beat women with, for sale. Minor usage, good condition, 3ft fashioned in natural birch. I could send you a dvd with it in action if you're on the fence about it. P.M me, if interested.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Phydeaux3 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:27 am

Glad to read that you are sober again..... Is the stick a petite bouche??
Alors! Un, deux...
Phydeaux3

Postby Arnstein » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:53 am

Thank you for giving me good answers! I already have a nice collection of sticks to beat women with, everything from old sticks that they used in the 1320s to newer ones with extra sound effects when you hit 'em.

I think I will learn Ain't Misbehavin first! I still have problems with playing the chords in a swing-way, but I guess it will be better after I practice some more!
Arnstein

Postby Ricardo » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:05 pm

Try this website - very useful indeed.
www.serendipity-band.com/misc/manouche/src/toc-en.htm
Ricardo

Postby Cattermole » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:30 pm

Caballero wrote:I have a stick to beat women with, for sale. Minor usage, good condition, 3ft fashioned in natural birch. I could send you a dvd with it in action if you're on the fence about it. P.M me, if interested.

Have you kept it stored between 45 and 55% humidity?
If the dvd is the one with you, the two Swedish au pairs and the alsatian then I've seen it.
Cattermole

Next

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar