Jazz in Paris (and New Zealand)

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Jazz in Paris (and New Zealand)

Postby Geordie Gypsy » Thu May 24, 2007 12:14 pm

Can anyone recommend a Gypsy Jazz or Jazz club in Paris? My GJ obsessed friend is travelling to Paris early June and has asked me for a recommendation. I only know of La Choppe.

I moved to New Zealand last year and have finally found a Gypsy Jazz band. I've had a few Djam's with them and they've asked me to play rhythm for them. I'm certain we're the only Gypsy Jazz band in Wellington. Not much of a GJ scene in this part of the world - ouch!
Geordie Gypsy

Re: Jazz in Paris (and New Zealand)

Postby Brett » Thu May 24, 2007 12:43 pm

Geordie Gypsy wrote:... I only know of La Choppe.....

That's the answer, La Chope Des Puces. Not a club but a small bar with a tiny restaurant behind it. You can while away a whole Saturday afternoon there listening to Ninine Garcia and friends, all for the price of a few beers.
Brett

Postby BluesBopHarry » Fri May 25, 2007 3:43 am

La Taverne de Cluny it's on the Rue de la harpe across de street from the Cluny museum.
L'ensemble Zaiti used to play there every Monday, maybe they stilll do.
There's jazz manouche every thursday too i believe.
Go there anyway and pick up a LYLO, a small magazine with almost every concert and art event in Paris, it's free too.
If you go to la choppe, get there early, 12:00, so you get to sit down at a table.
BluesBopHarry

gypsy jazz in paris

Postby sweetgeorgia » Sat May 26, 2007 11:37 pm

i think ensemble zaiti still play at the Taverne de Cluny Monday and Thursday, and also at the Bistro D'Eustache , in the 1st, 37 rue Berger which is definitly worth checking out.
theres also Le Cabaret Pirate (formerly La Guingette Pirate) , i think they have David Reinhradt playing on around the 12 June
La Roue Fleurie - used to be owned by Serge Camps, dont know if it still exists?
The Duc de Lombard on Rue de Lombard in the 1st also has great people on.
sweetgeorgia

Postby Geordie Gypsy » Sun May 27, 2007 11:13 am

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the information, much obliged.
Geordie Gypsy

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar