Harmoic Possibilities

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Harmoic Possibilities

Postby Djazzamatazz » Fri May 18, 2007 7:28 pm

Hello all, I am new to this forum and in general new to Manouche style guitar playing. I have been "playing" guitar for 15 years and have recently started to get interested in jazz and specifically, Manouche guitar. I was introduced to this style of playing thru the film, "Sweet and Low Down" about 7 or so years ago. I live in St. Paul, MN and am looking for some people to jam with so if you live in the area and are interested let me know.

My question:
In Manouche style playing I notice it consists mostly of m6, 6/9, o7, and the ubiquitous 7 chords. I know that each of these chords will support their subsequent arpeggios when soloing but I was wondering what other harmonic possibilities there are for these changes; for example, when playing over a dom7th chord I could play the dim7 a half step up but are there rules for doing this and what other possibilities exist?

Thanx in advance for your replies,

~greg
St. Paul, USA
Djazzamatazz

Postby LuLu » Tue May 29, 2007 7:15 pm

Hi Tazz, The move you mentioned gets used a lot, the use of chromatic lines seems to get things swinging especially when playing without a bass. Using the tri-tone substution can give you chords whose bass lines move chromatically, try it out!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing
LuLu

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar