Absolutely beginner. From blues to 'gyptzie'?

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Absolutely beginner. From blues to 'gyptzie'?

Postby Zeiss » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:50 am

Hi all from Spain,

I'm a really bad amateur guitar player that only can play some blues, rock n roll and some very easy parts of jazz songs. I was not very interested in gypsy jazz guitar style until, this summer, I heard a spanish group named Aguardiente Swing playing some Django's hits. They are really, really good. When I saw them playing that I knew I have to learn how to play it. I need it. A month later I've found this web site and have begining to practice, downloaded "all the way" tablature, bought a dozen of very hard picks and realize that my guitar is not the best for this.

I have found two great problems with this style. First is the guitar. I think the one I have, a Suzuki standard acoustic flat top that where the cheapest one in the store twenty years ago, is not the best for the matter. The other problem is that for what I have seen until now the style requires a vertical concept of music. I call it vertical becouse you are playin always ON a chord. The chord changes, then you change the notes u are using. Very vertical, like measures in the staff. I used to think horizontally when playing. Melodies that go ahead. When I changed the notes or the scale, is a modulation. Well, in fact I often use only pentatonics when playing blues.

Now I can play "all the way" really fast but I cannot improvise becouse when I try it the gypsy style vanishes. So, my questions are:

- Are there any method for IMPROVISING gypsy style?

- Any recomendation to get a not very expensive good guitar?

thanks in advance and xcuse my poor english.

Gabriel.
Zeiss

Postby justjack » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:50 pm

Like you said, changing with the chords is the key (or at least one of the major ones). Probably the best way to get a grip on it is to really study arpeggios, then simply play them over the matching chords. After (and only after) you've got that down, you can start to add passing tones and little flourishes. It may sound a bit dry at first, but it'll be a big help in improvising later. Alternatively , it might help to try and figure out what changes when you change chords; e.g., when you switch from an Am to a D7, try just switching the F to an F#. More to come, I'm sure. Good luck!
justjack
Mad For It

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar