Pentatonic scales ???

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Pentatonic scales ???

Postby Harry the dog » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:57 am

hello all,

just thought I would ask some thing which seems never to be mentioned on this forum that is the use of the good old pentatonic scale both major and minor??
Is the reason it's not mentioned because it's just too basic or is it taken as red that it's used that much it's not worth mentioning????
I sort of view the major pentatonic as a some sort of 6/9 arrpeggio!!!!!
IS THIS RIGHT OR AM I JUST TOO WIDE OF THE MARK????? :?:
Harry the dog

Re: Pentatonic scales ???

Postby Thrip » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:02 pm

Harry the dog wrote:I sort of view the major pentatonic as a some sort of 6/9 arrpeggio!!!!!
IS THIS RIGHT OR AM I JUST TOO WIDE OF THE MARK????? :?:

It was good enough for Django. He uses a major pentatonic over C6/9 at the end of "Please be Kind" from 1938.
Thrip

Postby chap » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:48 pm

The great McCoy Tyner used little else. Listen to him on the classic Coltrane recordings.
chap

Postby nwilkins » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:42 pm

I think the original post was actually concerned with the gypsy jazz idiom, of which McCoy Tyner is not really a part - the use of pentatonic scales in more mainstream jazz is fairly common.
nwilkins

Postby chap » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:00 pm

Sorry. Quite right. Except I do have a wonderful recording of Stephane Grapelli and McCoy Tyner Duets. Check it out if you get the chance. Tyner hangs in nicely.
chap

Postby djangology » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:28 pm

personally, i completely avoid using pentatonic scales because when i do i always get drawn into a bluesy or country sound. mabye one of these days i will experiment with them and learn to play them so they dont sound that way...
djangology

Postby justjack » Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:46 am

From 'Ology:
"personally, i completely avoid using pentatonic scales because when i do i always get drawn into a bluesy or country sound."

And I'm with him; for me it's always either Chuck Berry or AC/DC, and it ain't good. But to answer your question about the 6/9 idea: I don't think that's too off the mark (to agree with Thrip), but the minor pentatonic is a little more problematic, I think, both because of the the fourth and the flat seven (if you're playing over m6 chords, as it seems we so often are). In the long run, I think it's easier to learn scales as they relate to chords, so you can choose what to play over a m6, or m7, or m7b5, or whatever the case may be. On the other hand, I think it was Charlie Parker who said 'you're never more than a half step away from the right note'. In short, long live passing tones.
justjack
Mad For It

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar