ptb. files/ floating mustaches

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

ptb. files/ floating mustaches

Postby felixcharlock » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:28 pm

hello all,
i am having a heck of a time trying to open the ptb. files on this site. i thought i had downloaded the ptb. program properly, but my computer still opens them in microsoft excel. so instead of lovely tabulature i am faced with what appears to be sanskrit. any ideas? no mustache yet, but believe i am closer to playing gypsey style. with the aid of the horowitz picking book and incessant viewing of the legacy video i am making great strides with my right hand. i can float baby! i noticed that this forum had the distinct honor of some posts my monsieur horowitz. if you happen to read this... a big "thank you!" your book is helping me tremendously. i think my problem was that my right hand was tense and clenched into a fist. once i relaxed it i started to 'get' it. i can only play at about half the speed i used to, but you guys were dead on: the tone is so much better. thanks
take care,
jesse
felixcharlock

Postby woodshedder » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:54 am

felix,

sounds like you need to reassociate the filetype .ptb to the powertab program. easiest way to do it is probably to hold down the 'Shift' key, 'Right-Click' on a filename.ptb (on your desktop), and select 'Open With', then Select 'Choose Program'. Then, Select the Powertab application icon, and 'Check' the box that says something similar to 'Always use this program to open this type of file'.

good luck,
woodshedder
woodshedder

Postby felixcharlock » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:24 am

thanks woodshedder. that did it. i'm borderline idiot savant when it comes to computers. i printed out stochelo's solo piece from the legacy video. now if i could i could only play it... a complete mindfuck. i mean, for the fast bits it's E7-Amin, but for the love of god his speed is frightening. and the coy way he glances up at the camera every now and then. it's almost like he's taunting your pathetic gadjo technique. i think the secret might lie in the talisman of the mustache. note to self: scratch shaving upper lip tomorrow.
felixcharlock

Postby Jan Primus » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:22 pm

Stochelo has reached that place where time and space are suspended and he could conceiveably go out, light a cigarette, have a pee and be there for the next part of the phrase. Most of this stuff is in your mind anyway. See yourself playing it.
Jan Primus

Postby woodshedder » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:40 pm

aye, in the mind...or not in it. sort of a satori state, like when a gymnast is in mid triple twisting backflip on a balance beam type thing...her mind is completely zen blank. imho, you can't think about playing it, you just play it. the synaptic fire of thoughts are slower than Stochelos runs!

oh yeah, and point me to that 'Stochelo's peice' you're talking aboot...perty please.
woodshedder

Postby felixcharlock » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:45 am

hey there woodshed. i don't have the exact web address, but the transcription is located in the 'files' section of the yahoo gypsy jazz group. beware though. if you become a member you will be subjected 80% of the time to useless posts concerning scale length measurements and other trivial minutia. this forum kicks it's ass by a country mile. hey now.
felixcharlock

Postby felixcharlock » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:10 am

hey there woodshed. i don't have the exact web address, but the transcription is located in the 'files' section of the yahoo gypsy jazz group. beware though. if you become a member you will be subjected 80% of the time to useless posts concerning scale length measurements and other trivial minutia. this forum kicks it's ass by a country mile. hey now.
felixcharlock

Postby woodshedder » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:00 pm

merci. yeah, this group swings.
woodshedder

Postby Zoot » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:48 pm

Like a really swingy thing that just has had a good dose of being swinged.
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby Jan Primus » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:02 pm

I'm swung.
Jan Primus

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar