Some questions on gypsy picking technique

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Some questions on gypsy picking technique

Postby b0b1919 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:27 pm

i'm trying to get in to adopting the rest stroke. when playing one note per string arpeggios should the arpeggios be played with only one stroke (like a down stroke on each note) or each note picked alternately?
salut

pete lewis
b0b1919

Re: Some questions on gypsy picking technique

Postby stublag » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:35 pm

b0b1919 wrote:i'm trying to get in to adopting the rest stroke. when playing one note per string arpeggios should the arpeggios be played with only one stroke (like a down stroke on each note) or each note picked alternately?

Pick each note per string downstroke;its difficult at first but the wrist movement required to pick each note/string is very small;also remember the whole of the right arm and hand should remain relaxed;its only if theres tension that its difficult.
Cheers
Stu
stublag

Postby b0b1919 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:10 am

thanks alot, i figured as such. It takes a while to get out of the strict alternate picking that i always used but i'm starting to get the hang
salut

pete lewis
b0b1919

Postby BluesBopHarry » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:40 am

It will take a long time (about six months to get the hang of it and that if you practice hard), and lots of hard work but it is worth it in the end.
If you`re interested in learning this technique, don`t hesitate to get the book "Gypsy picking" by Michael Horowitz, it explains all the details of the right hand. There`s also a downloadable lesson at his website Djangobooks.com, and you can ask him about your doubts at the forum.
Good luck!
BluesBopHarry

Postby Ricardo » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:05 am

The biggest break through for me came when I managed to relax and accept that the adjacent string will not sound when the rest stroke is played through onto it. I think you subconsiously expect it to ring and this can hold you back or tense you up.
Ricardo

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar