Fapy masterclass

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Fapy masterclass

Postby GitanePlayer » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:29 am

Anyone had a masterclass with Fapy?

Just been to his website and am considering it - any ideas of cost?
GitanePlayer

Postby Rich » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:58 pm

I've not.. but apparently he is a pretty intense teacher. I heard a story about a guy who had lessons with him.. apparently in his first lesson he was asked to play some lead whilst Fapy played rythm to see what sort of standard he was at all ready. This guy had been playing a fair while and was pretty good but as soon as he'd finished Fapy told him to get out.. and that he'd never be able to play this style of music properly and he was just wasting his time and money (he was fairly aggressive about it).

But then apparently after this he carried on with lessons with Fapy and learnt a lot. Fapy's attitude changed considerably (and he is now greeted like an old friend whenever he has met him since).

I got the impression it was a kind of knock them down to nothing before building them back up again kind of approach to teaching.

Still apparently he did learn alot.. so if your prepared for anything then why not do it.
Rich

Postby justjack » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:44 am

Try writing Denis at fleche-dor.com; he's studied over there quite a bit I think...

best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby GitanePlayer » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:40 pm

Thanks - not sure I want to be knocked down by the man himself! I'll get in touch with Dennis and see what he has to say.
GitanePlayer

Re: Fapy masterclass

Postby Caballero » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:25 pm

[quote="GitanePlayer"]Anyone had a masterclass with Fapy?

no, but I've had breakfast with him. He's fussy with his diet and has loads of pills for various ailments. He didn't seem too impressed with my choice of full-english; bacon, egg, two sausage, fried bread, black pudding and heaps of coffee. Whereas I, ridiculed his meager slice of lightly toasted bread.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Lollo is Fapy cousin

Postby quecumbar » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:01 am

You can go stay with Lollo at his home in Holland and have one to one tuition, very similar style and a total sweetie you will have an amazing experience - go stay for 4 days details on my web site - best money you will ever spend trying to learn this stuff
Thanks to all our Patrons and regular musicians
Keep live music Live
quecumbar

Postby DennisC » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:16 pm

Fapy is indeed like that, a nice guy but in a way very old-school... I also have a friend whom Fapy told "would never be able to play this music"... he turned out to be one of his best disciples, and has been taking lessons with him for 6-7 yrs (on and off) now...

If you can handle it emotionally, then go for it... but at the same time i don't want to give you the impression that he's mean or evil or anything like htat.... he's just very blunt and to the point
DennisC

Postby DennisC » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:16 pm

and lollo's a wonderful guy too who plays very much in the same style as fapy...
DennisC

Postby samick westone » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:07 pm

I have been fortunate to have studied with both Fapy and Lollo.

If you feel that you are in the intermediate level then I would recommend a stay with Lollo, he is a great player with a very melodic style and great technique.

If you are playing at an advanced level then Fapy is the man but he is a demanding teacher with very (i mean very) high standards. You can potentially learn a lot more from him than Lollo but it really helps to have a firm idea of what you think that you will be able to learn from Fapy. He is a master and can show you excellent technique, chord substitutions, rhythm, single string soloing, chordal soloing...the lot.

I can confer with Dennis that Fapy is not mean or difficult but I can also see how some people can get the wrong interpretation of his behaviour at times. You have to be cruel to be kind, he can be very blunt and I guess that some people don't like to hear their weaknesses laid bare. I found him to be a diligent teacher and a kind, professional man.

He is a very very good musician and if he will take you for a masterclass then take the opportunity.

I will write more later about my visits if you are interested.
samick westone

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar