How to play this lick so fast

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Postby Cor » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:48 am

campfire wrote:cor,

Not to be too picky, but the first two pickup notes of your musical example should be Eb and E, rather than D and Eb. And two more F notes at the end. Damn! I gotta get a life.
Thanks for posting the great lick! And Michael H., I'm really getting a lot out of your book. Thanks.

Larry Camp
www.larrycamp.com (straight-ahead jazz)
www.impromptujazz.com (gypsy jazz) visit our new site!

Thanks Larry,

So you have no life, I can ask how to play it so fast.
Don't come with an answer like, study 8 years :-)

Up/down picking and the right finger setting are welcome.
Cor de Visser
Author of Super Guitar Chord Finder
http://www.ready4music.com
Cor

Postby campfire » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:57 am

cor,

I haven't yet worked it up to the speed of the musical example you so kindly posted, but my technique for playing it really fast would most likely be all alternate picking in the 8th pos. I tried applying #9 picking exercise in Michael H.'s book to it, without much success. Old habits die hard. Wish I could be of more help. Cheers.

Larry Camp
www.larrycamp.com
www.impromptujazz.com
www.larrycamp.com (my personal jazz guitar website)
www.impromptujazz.com (my gypsy jazz website)
"Archtops are nice, but a Selmer....ahhhh!"
campfire

Postby Djazz Nomad » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:22 pm

I'm 99.9% certain that Stochelo plays this lick using the Horowitz pattern.............. just listen for the accents. I agree it's really difficult to change those old habits............I used to play this picking alternately,and am struggling to change since studying other Django stuff, it;s a really common pattern, but that double downstroke thing when changing to a lower string is a real key to fluid gypsy style.

I also think it's important to play it BOTH ways 'cos the situation will arise when you might need to shift the accents in your solos.

I'ts not easy or quick to master. :(
Djazz Nomad

Playing and picking

Postby emackenz » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:04 pm

Hi all - Larry I've been playing for 35 years, professionally for a large slice of that, and across most styles. I came to Manouche jazz via Sweet and Lowdown and Swing - though i remember being struck by what i now know is Dorado and Tchavolo at the restaurant table in Latcho Drom playing Tchavolo Swing. Anyway (ramble :lol: ) I've been flicking the match and faithfully playing rest strokes and down strokes in what seem to me to be strange places with my wegen pick and sometimes i think all i've done is stuffed up a smooth natural picking style i took 30 years to develop :!:
i seem to be halfway across a bridge i can't turn back on! Are you comfortable with the picking style and is it possible to continue playing other styles after this? :shock:
by the way thank god for this forum and steve's site as a whole - my lifeline to the music from a place where people think gypsy music means klezmer... :cry:
Also - Michael - your shopping cart is down?

all the best
Ewan
emackenz

Postby justjack » Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:43 am

From Ewan:

"i seem to be halfway across a bridge i can't turn back on! Are you comfortable with the picking style and is it possible to continue playing other styles after this?"

I suppose it's possible, but who'd want to? I lucked out by stinking royally (no offence, Zoot) until I heard Django, so there isn't much I miss. There's something about the style, though, that makes it so much more rewarding when you really nail something. Hope you stick with it to the other side of the bridge; in the meantime, welcome to the nuthouse.

best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby emackenz » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:05 am

yeah jack - i agree totally about the rewarding aspect! just that to do my current gigs - i currently have a theatre show coming up - i have to do a jekyll and hyde act and become the delicate electric picker i used to be ...:-) but it'll be worth it! - i just wish i'd found this music earlier..
sorry about overuse of emoticons btw - first time and all..
emackenz

Postby justjack » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:17 am

Not at all-my hat's off to anyone making a go of it musically. And believe me, I empathize with that feeling of lost time. I was only in my mid-twenties when I came across it, but didn't start playing it for a few years still, and now, when I see tape of nine and ten year olds just smoking it, I still regret my misspent youth.

Break a leg, and all that, on the show,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Jan Primus » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:02 pm

Jack, you as well as the rest of us have come to this point in time at the perfect time. Dont waste your time regretting anything. I am having a blast now that I am ready to do it...
Jan Primus

Postby emackenz » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:24 pm

just realised - the other side of the bridge could be a very bad pun..
but i agree totally. no regrets. and the nuthouse is a welcome sanctuary... :D - here and now. btw - how would you play the 6th bar of nuits de st-germain des pres? :? - B on the 7th fret 1st string with the 1st finger, B on the 9th fret 4th string with 3rd finger, C# on the 6th fret 3rd string with 2nd finger and D on the 7th fret with 3rd? that leads into the Eb phrase ok i think... what would Django have done? sorry i haven't got tab posts together yet. ewan
emackenz

Postby simonsmith » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:41 pm

Meshugy wrote:Hi.....

That's a very common Gypsy pattern. The tab looks right to me. The picking is the same as Picking Pattern #9 in my Gypsy Picking Book.

It seems weird at first, but it can be done really fast. There's a least a dozen Gypsy licks based on that pattern.

Good luck!

-Michael

http://www.djangobooks.com/

Hi Michael

I have your first book, good work.....does your second come with a cd?
simonsmith

Postby Meshugy » Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:20 pm

Hi Michael

I have your first book, good work.....does your second come with a cd?

No, it would be too expensive to license Django's original recordings. I figured most people would want to hear the originals so I included a detailed discography in the book.

This CD has many of the pieces on it:

http://www.jazzmusicnet.com/Solo_Sessions_Vol_5_B000001N44.html

-Michael
Meshugy

Postby Caballero » Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:15 am

Mike,
Congrats on a great book( picking) It's going to get a lot of people
playing. My only comment would be on the 'origins' of the picking style suggestions. The one about the banjo players, sucks! :D Apart from that
, damn fine book.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Meshugy » Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:24 pm

My only comment would be on the 'origins' of the picking style suggestions. The one about the banjo players, sucks!

Sorry about that. Its actually part of an elaborate plan to drive the price of vintage Selmers down by reintroducing the guitar-banjo into Gypsy jazz. Go to the pawn shop now and buy any banjo you can find, put it up on ebay for a fortune, and tell everyone that Django played it!

-Michael

Meshugy

Postby justjack » Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:06 am

Wow. An author with a sense of humor about his own work? Michael, you're one of a dying breed; keep up the good work.

Unless, of course, you were serious.

Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Jan Primus » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:12 pm

Meshugy wrote:
My only comment would be on the 'origins' of the picking style suggestions. The one about the banjo players, sucks!

Sorry about that. Its actually part of an elaborate plan to drive the price of vintage Selmers down by reintroducing the guitar-banjo into Gypsy jazz. Go to the pawn shop now and buy any banjo you can find, put it up on ebay for a fortune, and tell everyone that Django played it!

-Michael

Well Michael, funny you should mention that. I do have a 15 year old Deering that Django is reputed to have played and I was thinking about listing it on Ebay. Perhaps I should call it a Djeering? It has that je ne se quois...

Chad
Jan Primus

PreviousNext

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar