Chord fingerings - confused???????????

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Chord fingerings - confused???????????

Postby Martyn » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:37 am

I have a question about some chords - on the Django Swing Page from this site I learned a few chords for Djangology but then when I was looking through an Acoustic Guitar magazine with a Bireli Lagrene story - it has the music to Djangology and according to my figuring
what I call a Gmaj (and according to the Django Swing Page) the magazine lists the same chord finger pattern as a G/B, as with the Cm6 is a Cdim in the mag.

I realise chords can have various finger patterns - but how come the same finger pattern has a differnt name.

Why is this so?
Martyn

Postby justjack » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:44 am

Chords (especially the three-note kind) are often listed with a kind of shorthand...for instance, this can be either Cm6 or Cdim or F7:

---
---
--8-
--7-
---
--8-

The exact name given might depend more on how the chord is functioning within the progression, since it contains 'correct' notes for all the chords mentioned above. If you add another note:

---
--8-
--8-
--7-
---
--8-

you've got either Cm6 or F9 or Am7b5 (with the 3rd in the bass). Hope that helps...

Best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby nwilkins » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:57 pm

G/B and Gmajor are exactly the same chord. G major is made up of G(the root), B (the 3rd) and D (the 5th).

G/B simply means to play a Gmajor chord with B (the 3rd) in the bass. In other words, if you were reading music and saw G/B you would know to use the particular voicing of G major that is used in Djangology.

As for why the same voicing can be called different things, the answer (as Jack pointed out) is that sometimes the same voicing can be used for different chords. There are only 12 notes, so lots of times one fingering pattern ends up as a voicing for many potential chords.

In the cae of Djangology I would say that it is not a Cmin6 but actually a C diminished chord.
nwilkins

Postby BluesBopHarry » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:38 am

nwilkins wrote:In the cae of Djangology I would say that it is not a Cmin6 but actually a C diminished chord.

I agree, it is a C dim that is actually functioning as a D7(b9).
I`ve seen a lot of people play a Cmin6 there and I like it as well, you can even switch from Cmin6 to C dim.
BluesBopHarry

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar