beatings unnecessary

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

beatings unnecessary

Postby scruff » Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:47 am

hola, new around here. i've been playing for about 15 years (damn) and just got into django/gypsy guitar this summer. i've noticed that the players of the style are extremely conservative when it comes to technique. seems that finger-style and/or alternate picking works just as well and gives a "newer" tone than the traditional downstrokes, rythmically speaking. i'm not suggesting that ditching traditions is all good and i envy anyone who can keep pace with the gypsy rhythm meisters. just fishing for opinions and/or experiences/suggestions.
anyone who confuses his mistress with his muse is asking for real trouble from both of them. - commentary by the red monk
scruff

Postby scruff » Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:35 am

ah, i think i phrased that wrong. basically, what i was asking is this: is there only one way to play gypsy jazz? but then again, it's all about authenticity ain't it? (heh, and i'm gypsy. i better get moving on the authenticity thing).
anyone who confuses his mistress with his muse is asking for real trouble from both of them. - commentary by the red monk
scruff

Postby edouard.skippo » Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:29 am

Well,concerning the use of a pick instead of fingerpicking,I guess it's as much a matter of tradition as a necessity.I mean,to play rythm guitar with a guy playing a solo in a gypsy way,on a true gypsy guitar,you will have to sound really loud,and I don't think using a fingerpicking technique is loud enough.But I don't think there's only one way to play gypsy jazz.There's a band from my town(Bordeaux),they're playing gypsy jazz with nylon-strings guitars and use a lot of fingerpicking;they also thump on their guitars to create rythms,and as far as i know,no one vever blamed them for that.Not mentionning the french bands like Sanseverino and Paris Combo which use a lots of elements of gypsy jazz to turn them into songs.
edouard.skippo

Postby scruff » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:11 am

ah, i see this question has already been answered at length in the "to float..." thread. thanks fr the answer though. interesting... damn.
scruff

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar