which pick to pick?

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Postby Teddy Dupont » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:52 am

As a further act of contrition for my appallingly insensitive behaviour and for the delectation of all you plectra aficionados, below are just a few of these fascinating objects from my own extensive collection.
Attachments
PLECTRA FOR THE DISCERNING GUITARIST.JPG
Teddy Dupont

Postby Thrip » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:14 pm

Teddy Dupont wrote:below are just a few of these fascinating objects from my own extensive collection.

Etruscan, 6th Century BC if I'm not mistaken?
Thrip

Postby Rene » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:20 pm

Congratulations Teddy, you've got it. DIY is the only truly authentic plectrum. Make them for your friends, they'll love it. Swap them, collect or trade them. Broken plastic chunks are a great material, coconut is fun. Perspex is easy. Don't kill tortoises - butcher Victorian furniture or jewellery instead if you must.
Rene

Postby burpuleez » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:22 pm

Thanks for the info and advocacy on my behalf. As a newbie I expected to get cuffed around a little. The plectrum issue really doesn't come up much outside this style of playing. I have realized that the picks I have preferred to use are not suitable for this music. It's a basic question, to be sure, but one I'd never needed to ask before. This forum is great- I get a lot from it.
burpuleez

Picks

Postby just the bass player » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:37 pm

Why not just create a sticky at the beginning of this part of the forum, and have it link to the advice in the Playing section?
When I first found this site, I found this information to be invaluable.
Or, just write a sticky stating that most players use: Argentine strings, a Wegen pick, something aproximating a Selmer style guitar, and recommed that they find the Playing section.
When you're a beginner, you haven't a clue about these things.

By the way, thank you for the vast amount of excellent advice that has been shared.
just the bass player

Previous

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar