which pick to pick?

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

which pick to pick?

Postby burpuleez » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:08 pm

I'm wondering about the gypsy jazz type of picks and how much difference they would make. I currently use a medium stiff regular flatpick. I like to feel a little bit of flex-I'm accustomed to it after 30+ years of playing- but do I need to consider going with one of those industrial strength picks?
burpuleez

Postby Teddy Dupont » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:29 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Teddy Dupont

Postby BluesBopHarry » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:10 am

I know that if your pick bends, you won`t be able to play fast and clean. Plus a heavy pick makes a meatier tone. The difference is instantly noticeable.
Try Wegens, go for the 3.5mm gypsy pick.
Good luck
BluesBopHarry

Postby Gadjo » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:28 pm

Try a cheaper solution first - the wonderful Wilton Pick!!!!
(Over to you Ganendorf for the rest of the advert......)

As this is a very serious subject it needs a studied answer. There will be talk about Bireli and the like using regular 1.5mm teardrops but for me and most other players a 3.5mm is the way to go, even a 5mm if you can handle it. I use this size all the time now and it sounds great. The Wegen is great as are Moustache picks but can get pricy.
The Wilton is handmade and will give you change out of £4. Another cheaper alternative is a 3mm Dunlop stubby - Gary Potter uses these.

This is great - someone ask me about strings!! :D :D :D
Gadjo

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:49 pm

Gadjo wrote:This is great - someone ask me about strings!! :D :D :D

:shock: :shock: :shock: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Teddy Dupont

Postby Ganondorf » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:18 pm

Anyone got a gun?
Ganondorf

Postby Rene » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:32 pm

It's well known that everyone must use the same plectrum, strings and preferably guitar (though not all of you at the same time) to have any hope of playing like Django. In these enlightened days, we generally try and play all the same solos, chords and tunes as the great man. I think its worth pointing out to those of you out there innovating in any way, and we know who you are, that the Jazz Police have been contacted.
Rene

Postby Dennis » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:39 pm

Does this mean I have to leave the forum because I gave up my Wegen and started using a Dunlop 2mm Gator Grip???

Will anyone ever speak to me again? Am I outcast? Will I be villified?

Also, I have this question about strings.............

D.
Dennis

Postby Dennis » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:46 pm

On a serious note (B flat - Ho, Ho !)

It looks as if most of the players on the Birelli 'Live in Vienne' DVD seem to be using 'normal' picks (as opposed to Wegen-style 'thickies') or am I wrong? Do 'Pro' GJ players tend not to use these very heavy picks?

D.
Dennis

Postby burpuleez » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:37 pm

Rene: come and get me, copper! The true spirit of Django IS innovation, individuality, and impovisation, WITHIN the idiom, mind you.
burpuleez

Postby Barengero » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:32 pm

I don´t know what´s the reason for bashing people here. In my opinion, we have a few facts:

1. We are living in a free world. If you love to play "Djangology" on a fender telecaster with a bottleneck - have fun and enjoy yourself!

2. If you want to learn how to achieve a sound as "authentic" as possible and if you want to know what causes that typical "Gipsy Jazz sound", it is useful to know that it helps to use a hard and thick pick instead of a flexible pick (more volume, more "bouncing"), at least if you are a beginner in this style. (I am sure that Bireli is able to produce a proper tone and volume even with a beer mat as a pick).

Additional, it helps to use a "selmac" style guitar and it also helps to immerse you into the rest stroke technique (Teddy- don´t kill me now).

3. If you decide to get into the most possible authenticity of Gipsy Jazz Sound (and nobody can coerce you into doing so), this will cause a more or less straining reversal of well-known habits.

4. If you play "Djangology" on a fender telecaster with a bottleneck, this will be extremely annoying for possible listeners, especially if they love Gipsy swing music.

5. It is unquestionable that you have to use the correct strings, whatever you do. :D

Best,
Barengero
Barengero

Postby Zoot » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:04 pm

I know this question keeps coming up again and again but we all went through it so please all grin and bear it and feel glad that we are a long way removed from the old "what pick" question.
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby Barengero » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:14 pm

Hi Zoot,

Agreed. But please keep in mind that burpuleez joined at 08.08.2006 from Athens. In my opinion there is no intelligent reason bashing newbies.

Best,
Barengero

("Everything has already been said - but not yet by everybody " -Karl Valentin)
Barengero

Postby Teddy Dupont » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:07 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: I am duly contrite and can, of course, only commend the warmth and sheer beauty of this wonderful touchy-feely approach..... but I still have to say Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Teddy Dupont

Postby Barengero » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:05 pm

Teddy,

I hope you enjoy yourself doing so. As I said, this is a free world?

Best,
Barengero
Barengero

Next

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar