Technical Problem : long scale length guitar

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Technical Problem : long scale length guitar

Postby tommaso » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:47 pm

All my past guitar playing (several years) has always been done on guitars with standard scale length(ranging from 640 to 648 mm). Since I have moved to long scale guitar (670mm)(five momths ago), it happens that playing is not as natural as before.It happens that fingers do not go to precise positions on the fretboard. I suspect that my brain has internalized the distances and the relationships of the standard fretboard and, as a consequence, when I play on the long scale, the fingers automatically position themselves as they where on the short one, causing sometimes slight errors in positioning. Will this problem disappear with exercise? Or, since there are gypsy guitar models with standard scale, should be preferable for me to adopt one of these?
Thank you all experts for your help.
Tommaso :(
Thanks Django!
tommaso

Postby Ganondorf » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:16 pm

I have the same problem tomasso,only i think mine is just a little more frustrating. Because i have really small fingers , the standard size d-hole selmer replicas have wider finger boards and i just cannot play them.Therefore i had to get a luthier to make one with a lot slimmer fingerboard so my hands can get a proper hold of it,so instead of getting a nice £500 gitane,i had to fork out well over £1500 :cry: .Has anyone else had this problem?
Ganondorf

Postby phil_g » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:02 am

I have a similar problem, I don't have big hands and long scale is hard work so I've settled for an Aylward D hole for now but it's still a bit of a handful for me and hard work to thumb the bass notes.

Ganondorf, what fingerboard width did you go for at the nut & at the 12th and do you feel you had to sacrifice much tone with the slimmer neck? Which luthier built your axe?

Cheers, Phil
phil_g

Postby tommaso » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:15 pm

Hi,
I want to explain that my problem is NOT relevant to the neck width and/or thickness, in fact I don't have small hands, but it refers to those added 3 cm in scale length(670mm). It seems nearly like the note positions on the fretboard were moved a bit from each other, compared to their positions on the standard fretboard (640 mm or less) I was used to play up to now.
Anyway I'm convinced that this problem will disappear in short time, in fact I already see improvements.
Tommaso
Thanks Django!
tommaso

Postby Ganondorf » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:40 pm

Phil-g
The fingerboard/neck is the same dimensions as a gibson les paul guitar.Not sure exact what width but it feels gooood and it was made by john le voi and i even had the les paul markers on aswell (trapezoids) 8)
Ganondorf

Postby phil_g » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:04 pm

Sounds good. Are you going to be at Goss? Would really love to see that guitar, cheers for the info.

Phil
phil_g

Postby joef » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:09 pm

Tommaso,

You don't have to play a long scale guitar. It's just a question of which you prefer. After all, the pre war Django stuff is short scale, either a D-Hole or a short scale oval hole.

regards

Joe
joef

Postby tommaso » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:36 am

Joef,
thanks for your opinion, I see that you've got the essence of the problem.
Now I have to decide if continue on a long scale or throw it away and buy a short scale: big dilemma!

Anyway do you know if the short scale oval hole (or even Dhole) has good sound as a long scale?
Thanks,
Tommaso
Thanks Django!
tommaso

Postby Pynchy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:55 pm

no, keep going with the guitar you have, Your fingers will adjust alot sooner than you think, it just takes a little patience. I recently started playing my old spanish guitar and although the fingering is soo different its great fun and i now find i can swap back and forth quite easily... there's probably a lesson somewhere in it. :D
Cods Wolop!
Pynchy

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar