How to improvise over 7 chords.

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Postby nwilkins » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:57 pm

you can use the whole tone scale over any dominant chord, but use your discretion because it can start to sound repetitive. Django uses it in "diminushing" but to hear it used in a more conventional context listen to the track below from 1:50-1:52. Stephane Wrembel used to have a clip of Honeysuckle Rose on his website where he used a whole tone scale phrase over the Gmin7-C7 section resolving nicely to Fmaj. If used sparingly and tastefully it is a good way to get a sound that is slightly "outside".
Attachments

026 Shteremen Swing.mp3 [ 3.33 MiB | Viewed 4183 times ]

nwilkins

Postby BachelorNo2 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:38 pm

Hey, thanks nwilkins. I think I understand the sound a lot better now. I really enjoyed the recording too, it sounded totally fluid when it was used. Anyway, I will go practice! On the subject of Stephane Wrembel's Honeysuckle Rose, is that the 2003 recording? I was listening to is alot a few weeks ago. Will check it out.

thanks again!
BachelorNo2

Postby nwilkins » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:15 am

I am talking about the extract of Honeysuckle Rose below (not sure when it was recorded). The whole tone stuff I am talking about is at the beginning of the chorus starting at around 13 seconds. The rhythmic motif is repeated during resolution to the Fmaj chord (starting at around 18 seconds) - very nice playing.

Django also used some whole tone stuff in this part of the song during his famous Honeysuckle Rose solo.
Attachments

Wrembel HoneysuckleRose.mp3 [ 2.24 MiB | Viewed 4148 times ]

nwilkins

Previous

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar