Do you read music?

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Do you read music notation?

Yes, I sight read quickly.
28%
Yes, but I read less than one measure per minute.
48%
No, I am a tabalature guru but I am learning to read.
8%
No, I figure tablature is all I will need to noodle around.
16%
No, I used to read but now its all locked within my brain.
No votes

Total votes : 25

Postby justjack » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:15 am

bw,

I still have yet to see a Nolan book in the flesh (cheapskate that I am), but it does sound like he's added a lot. I guess now I've gotta go get one. And what you're saying about finding the best string/fret combination is right on. I think that's another reason I use it just to get started; it seems to come more naturally if at the outset i can see that a melody is related to this or that scale shape. (Rather than plugging away note by note, and often losing sight of the bigger picture.)
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Spike » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:56 pm

Hi.

Firstly, RNT has completely spoiled me.

I had been an unreader (as in unbeliever) for 20+ years of rock and punk. I have spent the last two years taking trad jazz lessons and learning gypsy jazz and learning how to read charts.

I have to say that I wish I learned to read earlier, even my very crappy reading has been beneficial to learning how songs work.

But I must say it was a joy when I gave my Berkelee-trained teacher Romane's Montagne St. Genevieve transcription and it blew his mind.
This message was from Jim at Spike's Big Adventure. Have a nice day.
Spike

Postby Jan Primus » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:33 pm

Spike wrote:Firstly, RNT has completely spoiled me.
I have to say that I wish I learned to read earlier, even my very crappy reading has been beneficial to learning how songs work.

Too Right! My reading skill are not great, but I can hack through most tunes and have a real good idea of how it is supposed to go. I learned TAB early on, but it was really clunky, RNT's is better but still clunky, standard notation removes most all doubt. Reading is FUNdamental!

Spike wrote:But I must say it was a joy when I gave my Berkelee-trained teacher Romane's Montagne St. Genevieve transcription and it blew his mind.

I still cant get our guitar professor here to look at a peice of TAB. He is of the opinion that if it is not in standard notation, it cant be worth learning.

Chad
Jan Primus

Previous

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar