rhythm

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

rhythm

Postby mr moto » Fri May 05, 2006 3:58 pm

after many years of playing electric guitar mainly lead, my lead /solo playing in django style is ok but, i seem to have a major problem with my rhythm playing, it just does not sound right at all :( even when i am playing along to the simpler tunes such as minor swing , i just cannot seem to get it right, in fact the more i listen to just rhythm guitar playing in this style it hits me just how complex a lot of gypsy style rhythm playing is . please help if you can with any tips or suggestions as this is just becoming incredibly frustrating . thank,s
life is what happens while you are busy making plans for the future
mr moto

Postby lnb » Fri May 05, 2006 7:18 pm

look at the Gypsy Pumping heading in this section.
lnb

Postby cap_django » Fri May 05, 2006 8:35 pm

in general:

-heavy accents on 2 & 4
-1 & 3 are mostly on the bass strings, and less in dynamic
-2 & 4 are mostly on the treble strings and loud
-slight upstroke (much like a grace note) before 1 & 3
-extremely relaxed wrist
-left hand mutes immediately after the notes are sounded, so quickly that you can't really hear the notes at all.

There are numerous other subtle details such as regional style, modern vs. old, etc.
Live in Vancouver?
Enjoy the music of Django?
PM me! Let's jam!
cap_django

Postby phil_g » Fri May 05, 2006 8:41 pm

I know it's a long way for you but you should think about checking out some workshops, either at LeQ, Jonny and Steve's workshops, festivals or anywhere you can find them.
phil_g

Postby justjack » Fri May 05, 2006 8:48 pm

I'd also suggest buying some of the downloadable lessons from Djangobooks.com-they're really cheap and come packed with info (mp3 examples & pdfs of all the notation). Worth every penny.

Best,
Jack.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Ganondorf » Sat May 06, 2006 8:39 am

Easy,the universal code for the rhythm (much like einsteins theory of relativety E=MC2)

BA-DUM-CHICK :shock:
Ganondorf

Postby Gmajor » Sat May 06, 2006 9:11 pm

Music normally follows the first beat as the strongest if you make the second beat strong the music will swing.Have a listen to You're driving me crazy by django.
Gmajor

Postby Agent » Mon May 08, 2006 2:15 pm

Break it down to start with - make sure you can keep solid time with a swing feel by tapping your foot before doing anything with your hands, get the feel of the rhythm in your body and ears instead of worrying about the formula - there're lots of different styles.
Agent

Postby Gmajor » Mon May 08, 2006 11:11 pm

Get a metronome korg do one MA-30 about £15.Then on the 1st beat up stroke on the 5th 6th strings full down stoke on the 2nd beat and so on.try to play on the 2nd and 4th beat in the bar.
Gmajor

Postby phil_g » Tue May 09, 2006 1:39 pm

1st thing to do is just play straight 4s though and make sure you stroke all 6 strings with every beat even if it's a 3 note chord.

Your goal is to be able to do it so relaxed that there is almost no attack and you can play this at low volume without missing any strings or holding any tension in the right hand and arm.
Gypsies, as Michael Horowitz pointed out, like to use gravity to play their guitars.

Use a metronome but forget the upstroke for now, it will come later especially when the sound of it is in your head - going for the upstroke too early on messes up your 1st beat, anyway that technique doesn't apply to every situation, you'll still need the ability to play right on the beat and make it swing. If you do stick the upstroke in it will sound bad if it takes the down stroke off the 1 beat so you have to drill this in with your metronome or at least a tapping foot.

Next stage (and thanks to Jonny for showing me this) is before the 2 and 4 beat lift your right hand higher by a few inches and let it fall. You can see Baro and Joseph (and even Django) doing this very clearly in the J'Attendrai video which you can see on www.about-django.com

The left hand damping (just releasing left hand pressure to kill the chord is crucial too, there is some sustain on beat 1 & 3 and almost none on 2 & 4 but you have to get this sound by listening, small changes have a big effect which is probably why it doesn't come quickly and easily.

Cheers moto, hope this helps.
phil_g

Postby Bflat » Tue May 09, 2006 4:04 pm

Maybe Mr Moto should check out this site:

http://www.serendipity-band.com/misc/ma ... toc-en.htm
Bflat

Postby mr moto » Tue May 09, 2006 10:54 pm

first of all thank,s for all the information, everyone :) i really am going to have to get down to le q for one of the workshops, if i can ever find the time !
i see that michael horowitz is due to release a book all about rhythm playing, his first book was a great learning tool for me ,so that,s next on my list. once again thank,s . now back to practising :roll: :D

bflat, thank,s for that link ,very useful :D
life is what happens while you are busy making plans for the future
mr moto

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar