Newbie Gyspy Picking Technique Question

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Newbie Gyspy Picking Technique Question

Postby slippyknees » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:52 am

hey all,
i'm new to the gypsy style (and forum) but not to the guitar itself - i've been playing for 20 years now. my question is in regards to the rest stop right hand picking style. i get the basic idea but what is occuring that i'm a little confused about is that all the unused strings are ringing away as i'm playing single note lines. with electric/pop playing resting your hand on/near the bridge fixes that problem. how do you stop those strings from ringing out so much if your wrist isn't resting down? do they just ring away and that's that, or do i just need to keep working?

any insights would be greatly appreciated as i'm very excited about learning this style of music.

hope all' well. cheers!
~e
slippyknees

Postby cap_django » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:22 am

The very "dry" nature of the guitars used takes care of most things.

Some people will mute the low E string with their thumb (where possible). Some people will mute with their left as much as they can just let ring whatever rings.

I've recently saw a video of Joe Pass, who uses a similar technique, playing with Oscar Peterson and he was planting his right wrist between phrases.

I don't think there's any clear answer so simply do what you can.
Live in Vancouver?
Enjoy the music of Django?
PM me! Let's jam!
cap_django

Postby slippyknees » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:32 pm

thanks for the reply, cap_django. i was thinking that might be the case - just to let things ring. it's a bit of a bummer as the overtones created can be quite loud. maybe in time i'll find some type of solution as i truly have just started to play this style - a week at most!!

cheers!
slippyknees

Postby cap_django » Mon May 01, 2006 9:36 am

Sometimes the ringing can come from the strings behind the bridge. Try muting those to see if it helps at all.
Live in Vancouver?
Enjoy the music of Django?
PM me! Let's jam!
cap_django

Postby Elliot » Thu May 04, 2006 12:50 pm

I believe a little palm muting when necessary is okay.
Elliot

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar