Tunes for a beginner?

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Tunes for a beginner?

Postby Smudge » Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:47 pm

Hi,

I know a reasonable number of chords and can play blues/rock but would like to learn Django-style guitar. There seem to be a good number of Tabs available online on this website and others, so can anyone recommend a few less-difficult Gypsy Jazz tunes to get me started?

Cheers
Smudge
Smudge

Postby Djazz Nomad » Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:07 pm

Minor Swing................3 chords, not many more than 3 notes......................come to think of it, they're none of them that difficult.

Cat & pigeons me-hopes.
Djazz Nomad

Postby justjack » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:07 am

Digging in to Minor Swing will definitely set you on the path, and without too much discouragement. If you've got any favorite jazz tunes, there's a good chance they've been given the Django treatment at some time; look for them-it's a lot easier to pick it up if you've already got the sound in your head. The main thing is this: if you're playing rhythm (you mentioned chords), make sure you learn the right shapes right off the bat. It'll save you a lot of headaches, trust me.
For specific tunes, I'd recommend I Can't Give You Anything But Love, I'll See You in My Dreams, Douce Ambiance, Blues en Mineur, Sweet Georgia Brown, All of Me, Limehouse Blues, and Undecided. I'm sure there are many more...anyone? (And maybe Oriental Shuffle, played nice and slow.)
justjack
Mad For It

Postby djangology » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:07 am

i also just discovered that Romanes "Gypsy Fire" can be played with three chords also...

1. the 7b5 shape that you use to play the Dm (2nd position) and A7 (4th position)
2. the E7 at the 7th position
3. and finally, the 7-flat-9 inside chord in the 6th, 9th, and 12th positions.

its an easy one. i would recommend it if you can get a copy of Romanes Ombre album... :-) it reminds me of the simplicity of the tune "Dark Eyes". its a neat song that I have never heard anyone play... but people should give it some attention. :-)
djangology

Postby Thrip » Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:08 am

djangology wrote:1. the 7b5 shape that you use to play the Dm (2nd position) and A7 (4th position)

Don't you mean m7b5?

By the way, don't believe Djazz Gnomad, it's not easy to play this music. More like nightmarishly difficult, I'd say.
Thrip

Postby djangology » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:51 pm

Playing this music is sorta like taking a hike in nice country with rolling hills and each time you traverse the top of a hill you think your at the end of your journey and then you discover that you have a long way to go!

P.S. yep, your right! i meant m7b5!
djangology

Postby Jan Primus » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:09 pm

Thrip wrote:By the way, don't believe Djazz Gnomad, it's not easy to play this music. More like nightmarishly difficult, I'd say.

Well, only if you want to do it right. 8)
Jan Primus

Postby Thrip » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:00 pm

djangology wrote:Playing this music is sorta like taking a hike in nice country with rolling hills and each time you traverse the top of a hill you think your at the end of your journey and then you discover that you have a long way to go!

I'm glad it's like that. What would happen if you had nowhere else to go? It would get boring pretty fast.
Thrip

Postby justjack » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:42 pm

Hear, hear...it's tough to imagine folks forming The Aerosmith Club of Boston (f'rinstance) 50 years after they're gone.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Zoot » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:54 am

Thrip wrote:By the way, don't believe Djazz Gnomad, it's not easy to play this music. More like nightmarishly difficult, I'd say.

I think Djazz is keeping his reply to the context of the original post.
It's not that hard to play these chords. They are by their very nature easy to play. Once you have the basic structure masterd you can keep churning them out in different positions on the neck.

Soloing is another matter though.

Stage1
Minor Swing
Djangology though slightly more daunting for the bigginer will reap the rewards.
Douce Ambience

Stage 2
Stomping at Decca
Honeysuckle Rose
China Boy

Stage 3
Manoir de mes reves
Melody au crepescule
Then you go all the way back to the beginning and play Minor Swing properly
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby djangology » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:46 pm

yeah! what is the deal with the song "Djangology"? has anyone else noticed that its a tad bit harder to solo over than some other tunes? there is something about it that I can't quite put a finger on...
djangology

Postby justjack » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:53 pm

From Zoot's stage 1, Douce Ambiance is a blast to learn even if (or especially if) you're playing alone. It's got enough chord movement to keep it interesting without making it too tough to get up to speed quickly. I think this was the first tune I learned in this style, and afterwards there was no going back. Have fun!
(And you can find the progression right here on site-such convenience!)
justjack
Mad For It

Postby bwilkins » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:15 pm

Yeah, Djangology, your namesake tune, has been a tough one for me too! The chord progression is straight ahead & fun. But I really cant get started w/ anything beyond the head. Im sure I know why - at least a big part of the trouble - Ive had a devil of a time nailing down the diminished arpeggios & runs. I seem to have some sort of mental block over that pattern! (I guess Im a hopeless case without those, eh?)

Stompin At Decca has been a fun & profitable tune to learn. Gettin that Gmaj apreggio down has helped me use it in other settings. Gets me outside the usual 4-5 fret box I get stuck in most of the time.

Oh well, one little step at a time.
BW
bwilkins

Postby Smudge » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:36 pm

Thanks everyone for all those ideas!

Should keep me going for a while. :D
Smudge

Postby justjack » Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:56 am

'Ology wrote:
i also just discovered that Romanes "Gypsy Fire" can be played with three chords also...

I haven't heard this tune; do you have a chart?
And a recording where I could find it?

Thanks.
justjack
Mad For It

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar