only three arpeggios

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

only three arpeggios

Postby Harry the dog » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:22 am

Right heres one for you all.........

during the vast amount of research and what seems like an endless quest for knowledge about how to play in the gypes jazz style of our master Django, I came across a comment by some one some where (cant rember who) who recons that you only need to know three arpeggios these were, according ot him, minor 7th, major 7th dimminished and whole tone. i think this cant be the whole story surely!!!!!! as this would make all the gathering of the other skills and knowledge a complete wast of time and energy. :?
Harry the dog

Postby Harry the dog » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:27 am

sorry its four :oops:
Harry the dog

Postby djangology » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:51 pm

LOL... well... thats certainly oversimplifying. there are lots of different schools of thought on how to solo in jazz and there are some people who take the approach that you can break the theory of soloing down into just a few basic things. Joe Pass was one of these players. For example, take a basic chord scale in C major:

C Major, D minor, E minor, F Major, G Major, A minor, B diminished, C Major.

notice that in this key, there are really only three distinct scale types:

1. major
2. minor
3. symmetric: diminished/whole-tone/chromatic

so, theoretically, all you need to know is one minor scale, a major scale, and the diminished (or whole tone would work). the same rules apply for arpeggios in this key. taken one step further, the following scales would sound ok over the key of C:

1. C major, F major, F9 arpeggio, etc.
2. A minor, D minor, E minor, A minor pentatonic
3. B diminished, G7 arpeggio, F# diminished, B whole tone

While you solo, your choice of scale or arpeggio over the current chord in the song will create a harmony. Try not to play a major component over a minor section in a tune. When a song is turning around, use the symmetric forms. Also, make sure you know all 3 minor scales: natural, harmonic and then melodic. I am just a beginner still, so don't take me for the absolute truth, but this should help you I think. :-)
djangology

Postby justjack » Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:13 pm

Mark Levine's got a chapter on this idea in The Jazz Theory Book, where he writes: ...most jazz musicians assume that, since there seem to be zillions of chords, there must be zillions of scales. Wrong. You can interpret almost all chord symbols using just these four scales: the major scale, the melodic minor scale, the diminished scale, the whole tone scale.
He then goes on to discuss scale harmony, explaining why you would play this with that, etc. Chapter 3, if you're interested.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Zoot » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:39 am

...most jazz musicians assume that, since there seem to be zillions of chords, there must be zillions of scales.

Thats a bugger. I've spent the last 20 years learning all the scales. I'm currently up to 3 gazzilion 2 billion 345 million 2345 thousand and 4.
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby justjack » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:44 pm

Well, you know what they say about the first thirty years.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby djangology » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:54 pm

out of curiosity does anyone here ever have success in conciously using the BeBop scale over gyspy jazz? i'm wondering if its really worth learning to supplement all the major, minor, symmetric scales and arpeggio studies...
djangology

Postby Thrip » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:33 pm

djangology wrote: the BeBop scale

:?:
Thrip

i find i automagically use it

Postby woodshedder » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:17 pm

i found, upon actually learning the bebop, that i had been using it already naturally. i've read something about it adding extra spark and interest to your solos. yes, it's worth learning, especially since you are only learning a single additional note for each type of scale. i'm no grand puba, mind you. but django is and he used it. i think (i read?) you should only (of course rules are only suggestions) use it as a passing note...on the off beat.
woodshedder

Postby Zoot » Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:37 am

Thrip wrote:
djangology wrote: the BeBop scale

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby Jan Primus » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:45 pm

Oh come on Thrip and Zoot, you know, The "BEBOP SCALE"! :!:
Jan Primus

Postby djangology » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:35 pm

actually, it looks to me like the solo to Nuages uses the BeBob scale, with its 4 note in a row passages...
djangology

Postby mobiegobie » Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:16 pm

Hey!
Bebop scale!
I have being doing that! It was the first "JAZZY" thing I played!
Might I also add it is the only thing I play that sounds "jazzy".

Example: (in tab)
xx5555
xx4444
xx8888
xx7777
xx6666
xx5555
xx4444

Something like that......
mobiegobie

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar