Alchohol and the gypsy guitarist

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Alchohol and the gypsy guitarist

Postby Ricardo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:09 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows whether Django could play drunk. I myself try not to drink at all when playing with others, but do find that maybe one or two glasses of wine can lubricate the strings and can infact improve my playing ,by making me less self consious an more likely to explore my full vocabulary. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? :?:
Ricardo

Postby Mobreau » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:19 pm

Apparently Django was not a big drinker and found music a big enough stimulant in itself .I myself have it all the wrong way round, I lubricate myself to the point of drowning, get so terribly excited that I have to pick up my guitar only for it to rasp and wheeze at me. All those ideas that flow so beutifuly in the mind...... :cry:
Mobreau

Postby Ricardo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:31 pm

I know the feeling, i'm always convinced of my incredible skills after two bottles of wine, only to find myself floundering like a beached whale about the fret board and mumbling to my guests about how i'm usually quite good really but for now would anyone like to join in a rousing chorus of wonderwall. :oops:
Ricardo

Postby 0900Lokislove » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:32 am

Just feels a lot looser after a few beers, it realy helps you to improvise
by my opinion!!
Django mensen uit nederland graag ff berichtje.

grts Marc , Amsterdam!!
0900Lokislove

Postby Rich » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:00 pm

Nice pic 0900Lokislove. :D
Rich

Postby BluesBopHarry » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:43 am

Well... Bireli apparently was a little out of sorts this year at Samois and it really showed.
On the other hand, I saw Costel Nitescu playing in Paris after several drinks and he was amazing.
I guess it depends on how well you can handle it.
In my opinion if you can`t play well sober, no amount of booze will turn you into a good player, at least to any listeners other than yourself that aren`t drunk as well. :lol:
Maybe one drink can help you relax, but I wouldn`t want to depend on it, would you?
I mean, better to sound a little stiff but decent, than being relaxed and playing bad.
BluesBopHarry

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar