montagne ste genevieve

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

montagne ste genevieve

Postby BachelorNo2 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:14 pm

Just wondered if Django did a version of this song, I've been trying to find it everywhere. In the Stephane Wrembel CD, it credits Django as being the creater of the song. I can't seem to find Django's version anywhere. Can someone tell me the history behind this beautiful waltz?

Thanks
BachelorNo2

Postby radiotone » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:57 pm

radiotone

Postby emicad » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:15 am

I've done some other research about it and finally i can say you can't find this song played by Django. There is some confusion about "who" played "what" but it's so cause some of the contemporary players of Django used to imitate his sound and technique so it's difficoult for us to say "It's him!" or not. Remain the fact he was a Jazz enthusiast not a "folk" (sometimes i HATE this word :x ) musician.
Cheers
emicad

Postby Teddy Dupont » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:44 am

We have actually discussed this many times before but there is no evidence that Django ever recorded a traditional gypsy jazz waltz. Some people believe the acetate "Valse Manouche"/"Choti" is Django but I think it is much more likely to be Baro Ferret. Once he became involved with jazz, Django had no interest in waltzes. They were introduced to gypsy jazz by Baro and Matelo Ferret.
Teddy Dupont

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar