DJANGOS alternate tuning

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Postby wirralgitane » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:58 pm

My post wasn't ment to start a 'yes he did.. no he never' thing, my fault.
Thanks alot for that photo though it really is a nice one to see.
wirralgitane

Postby Cattermole » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:10 pm

Teddy's back row, far right, about to solo on the pink oboe.
"...somebody correct me please if i have said bullshits"
Cattermole

Postby Rich » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:37 am

That's a great photo. :D
Rich

Re: DJANGOS alternate tuning

Postby DJo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:42 pm

jackthe hack wrote:2 month ago i had to do a small gypsy bit and was unable to find support,........am i the only one to make this discovery. look at djangos tiger ,(jazz chanson)the notes are on ,yet the finger positions are designed to look cool,yet theyre slow and stupid.gee.......... this feels like open C tuning to me i thunk as i learned some parts.and the diminished sweep he does in like every song i heard, ....give it a shot.

Perhaps a poor choice of words ("slow and stupid"), but at least he is thinking of ways of playing songs that many people seem to get bogged down in the idea that there is "right" way to approach Django's tunes and the rest are perhaps substandard.

If the guy finds a way of playing a song well in an easier way in reasonable amount of time, gets to share it with others and turns an "audience" on to a sound that is not readily available on a live basis (assuming wherever he is there is an abundance of lame smooth jazz crap for every interesting "jazz" band) INSTEAD OF:
sitting in his house woodshedding for days, weeks, months, years or whatever just to go play it at his friend house,
comment on his progress ad nauseam on the web or
film himself and send it to YOUTUBE,
then I say go for it!

In the southern US, of the few gypsy jazz type shows I have had the opportunity to see, I always end up with a boring Django history lesson. It turns a potentially "swingin' affair" into a major buzzkill (I wonder if John Jorgenson reads this forum). I want to hear more of this music live in a bar, not with the whole reverential "Django only had two good fingers" bit and not over the internet. I want to hear it like it should be, loud and in front of a group of people having a high time!

So, encourage this guy, if for no other reason than to let the music be heard by as many music fans as possible, the folks who will eventually allow more other Django and gypsy jazz appreciating musicians (such as myself) to get out and play and have their music heard, once folks realize what its all about.

Perhaps you do not have this problem in Europe, but that is the situation as I see it around my neck of the USA.

Not to mention it would just simply be interesting to get posts from folks who interpret the songs in fresh and different ways.

Have a good day.
DJo

Postby Caballero » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:57 pm

Cattermole wrote:Teddy's back row, far right, about to solo on the pink oboe.

Goddamn, you're sharp! I could have sworn he was more of a spam saxaphone or wrinkled flute type of guy. :)
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:06 pm

Cattermole wrote:Teddy's back row, far right, about to solo on the pink oboe.

....And what a fantastic solo it was!! Django just stood there opened mouthed. Unfortunately that turned out to be a precusor to him vomiting on my left foot.

The oboe was certainly not pink! I find that an insulting slur on my masculinity. It was a striking eau de nil with peach inlays. Ummmm! Nice.
Last edited by Teddy Dupont on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teddy Dupont

Postby nwilkins » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:21 am

Teddy Dupont wrote: It was a striking eau de nil with peach inlays. Ummmm! Nice.

you're so posh
nwilkins

Re: DJANGOS alternate tuning

Postby Teddy Dupont » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:13 am

DJo wrote:... I always end up with a boring Django history lesson.

WHAT!? :shock: That's impossible.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Thrip » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:31 am

And I thought he was playing the Euph-emism-onium
Thrip

Previous

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar