Colin Cosimini's new book

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Colin Cosimini's new book

Postby kidtulsa2003 » Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:27 pm

Any word on when it's available to the masses? :)
kidtulsa2003

Re: Colin Cosimini's new book

Postby TedGottsegen » Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:34 pm

kidtulsa2003 wrote:Any word on when it's available to the masses? :)

Hey KidT,

Out of curiosity, when you were in Europe why didn't you learn the voicings from the same people who told you yours weren't correct? Or did you?
TedGottsegen

Postby kidtulsa2003 » Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:18 pm

Hi Ted
Good question! Truth is, I ran across a lot of really great information while I was over there, but I'm real new to jazz guitar playing and my theoretical knowlege is pretty slim, so I got to feeling pretty overwhelmed and confused by it all, and ended up getting a little discouraged. So, I decided to start learning from the ground up, paring it back to the most basic elements in order to (hopefully) understand it a bit better. I really want to incorporate the manouche approach to playing the material as best I can under the circumstances, hence my interest in Colin's book, as it supposedly contains some info about the gypsy approach to chords. If you have any suggestions on learning material, recordings or teachers that could help me out, I'm all ears (as it were). kidtulsa@hotmail.com
thanks, Pete :D
kidtulsa2003

Postby Swing This! » Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:48 pm

Hey Pete: I see you're in Portland, lets meet up sometime and have a gypsy jam? You can see our group "Gadjo-Djazz" performing at:

It's A Beautiful Pizza
3341 SE Belmont
Portland, OR
(503) 233-5444

this Sat Feb 22nd from 6-9pm

I often jam with Jason as he knows his way around the gypsy jazz chords etc...

best

Phil

email: phl97213@yahoo.co.uk
Swing This!

Postby justjack » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:45 am

You lousy bastards- can't someone find it in their heart to move to snowy Massachusetts? The great part is, there's nothing else to do.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Phydeaux3 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:02 pm

Colin's book will be going to printers this week
Alors! Un, deux...
Phydeaux3

Postby nwilkins » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:00 am

is there any way of advance ordering a copy? How many are being printed?
nwilkins

Postby TedGottsegen » Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:59 am

Man, with all the interest surrounding this book it seems like Colin is going to have a success on his hands. Good for him, he deserves it!
TedGottsegen

Colin Cosiminis new book

Postby Harry the dog » Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:16 am

will you selling this book through the Hot club shop when it is available????

And is it a good or helpfull book for those of us who have only been playing this style of music for about 20 years??????? by the way is there any one around the Hull or East riding of Yorkshire area who is interested in getting together for a jam :(
Harry the dog

Postby justjack » Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:21 am

Harry the dog wrote:

And is it a good or helpfull book for those of us who have only been playing this style of music for about 20 years???????

I'm wondering this myself, though I've only been playing a few, myself. But what, exactly, is included- does anyone know, at this point?
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Phydeaux3 » Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:12 pm

The release date for the Colin's book will be 12 March 2003 and I hope that Steve will have copies available on his site shortly after.
It is Colin's interpretation of the style of Gypsy jazz chording that he has learnt by listening to and playing with some of the best known Gypsy players of today.
It shows examples of standard chording, inversions, substitutions, passing chords etc.
In volume one there is 50 tunes that include standards, Django's compositions and traditional gypsy songs.
Alors! Un, deux...
Phydeaux3

Postby justjack » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:57 am

Sounds like fun. Not that I expect you to know every last detail, but any word on what the tunes entail? Full sheets, grids only, etc.?
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Zoot » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:06 pm

Colins new book book is available from the hotclub shop along with his latest CD which is also released this week. (What a busy boy)

On first impressions it looks as though he has pulled it off.
Good chord chart and discription of symbols at front of book.

He uses the French method of timing (Box subdivided into sections - easy to understand) and fret number is indicated for all chord shapes(nice touch)

As an example Minor Swing has the basic chords we all know and love plus an alternate version and then as a bonus a final alternate version for 2nd and 8th bars.

Overall I rate this as gig bag essential.
KA CHING
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby djangology » Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:08 pm

I admit that I was really skeptical about buying this book but it turns out that its everything I would have hoped for. I am learning a lot by relearning the songs I know with a new understanding of the chords. Now I am actually beginning to be able to substitute chords on the fly. In conjuction with the Robin Nolan lesson books, this book is great.

There is a small typo in the Autumn Leaves arrangement i think. I do appreciate that the Autumn Leaves arrangement is in Dm instead of the usual Em. That is certainly a bonus. The rest of the tune arrangements are amazing. There are only 2 pages of chords and so that is not where the value of this book is. I would say that the value is in seeing the arrangements. It has made me re-think how I play these songs and it has also opened up a whole new understanding of where and how I can place and substitute chords.

Good job Colin, the book is great. :-)
Last edited by djangology on Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
djangology

Postby B25Gib » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:35 pm

.....I've been working with Colin's book and making decent progress applying some of the song changes. Since I hadn't worked with many standard songs in the past, I am getting the sound of these progressions, voicings and melodies into my ear. Chord substitutions for a different sound and mood will come later.
.....Cosmini's Gypsy Jazz Chord Book has been valuable to me as a rookie learning this style. With this guide and extensive listening to the few CDs I have, enjoyable progress is following. I am also now using a different sequence of fingers and reaching more horizontal for notes to play some arpeggios and melody heads that I've learned from other material and CDs.
.....It was a good purchase to supplement my education!
B25Gib

Next

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar