Gypsy Jazz Book

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Gypsy Jazz Book

Postby Rich » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:03 pm

On the old forum ages ago there was talk of a huge gypsy jazz book to be released by Paul Chester. is this still due to come out? or is it out already and i've missed it? any info would be apprecieted.
Rich

Postby Teddy Dupont » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:20 am

Do you mean the Django Reinhardt Bio-Discography by Paul Vernon (not Paul Vernon Chester)? If so, it is due to be published late May, early June.
Teddy Dupont

Postby Rich » Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:41 pm

yeah thats the one, thanks. Any ideas what it is going to contain?
Rich

Postby justjack » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:27 am

Do tell, Doc! I know I for one am looking forward to spending all my spare time tracking down rare discs. Maybe we should form a CD-burning club?
justjack
Mad For It

Postby Teddy Dupont » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:13 pm

I have read the rough draft and it has information on all the known recordings by Django including details of every record issued in every country under every label. In fact, just the type of stuff Cabo loves.

More interesting for most of us are the reprints of articles written about Django during his lifetime, many of which have never been seen since they were first published. The discography, articles and details of his life are woven together chronologically and there are lots of appendices on such things as Django film footage etc.

The book, which is more a thesis than a biography, is for those of you who are interested in Django Reinhardt specifically rather than gypsy jazz in general and also for those of you who have a lot of money to spend.
Teddy Dupont

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar