Romane DVD

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Romane DVD

Postby Rich » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:39 pm

I was just reading the reviews section and read the review on Romane's tutorial DVD. Has anyone got any other opinions on this DVD and any other sources (preferably in English) on the net to buy it from?
thanks for the help.
Rich

Postby Maurice II » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:40 am

The tabs etc are excellent and come at the challenges from several directions. Can't comment on the CD because this package is just too much, all at once. On the other hand Robin Nolan is too little.

You'll work almost entirely on Romane tunes, fwiw. You'll need "Ombre".

French isn't so hard. Impossible, but nothing like Django. Get a froggie dictionary and shrug. If you think this is bad, try their politics.

I'll dedicate a few weeks to it one of these days. I did spend the money and it's a great package.
Maurice II

Postby nwilkins » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:58 am

The DVD Mo, not the book :wink:
nwilkins

Postby Rich » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:13 pm

I was asking about the DVd, but i never noticed the book.........i recon i'll get that instead. Cheers for the advice.
Rich

Postby djangology » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:09 pm

the old Romane in Nashville VHS tape is worth the price you pay but it only teaches you a tad about the tri-tone, square to chromatic chord substitution, and chromatic arpeggios (playing successive arpeggios in chromatic fashion), which is most efficient 15 minute lesson that I have ever experienced and its enough to get you going for sure if your a beginner.
Last edited by djangology on Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djangology

Postby justjack » Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:47 am

'Ology wrote:
the old Romane in Nashville VHS tape is work the price you pay...

Is this a typo, or is it really work? And is "square to chromatic chord substitution" square like an out of it dad, or something else? (I'm not trying to be a wisenheimer, either.)
justjack
Mad For It

Postby djangology » Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:24 pm

no offense taken. your comment is actually pretty funny. :-)

alright, i fixed the typo in my last message (above). also, when I say "square progression to chromatic" what I meant is a chord progression in a "box" formation transposed in the same key with chord substitution into a "inline/chromatic" pattern. I am a beginner jazz player as well and that is the only way I can think of describing it. Mabye I will go back to my site and doctor up that weblog entry so that its not confusing....
djangology

Postby Northern-Neil » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:32 pm

[quote="Maurice II"]
French isn't so hard. Impossible, but nothing like Django. Get a froggie dictionary and shrug. If you think this is bad, try their politics.
quote]
now, now... this Northerner just happens to be half French...
...Eh up, Djangologists!
Northern-Neil

Postby Northern-Neil » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:35 pm

...by the way Mo, 'Albuquerque' should actually be pronounced 'Albukirk'. Now, was that easy or what? :)
...Eh up, Djangologists!
Northern-Neil

Postby Northern-Neil » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:39 pm

[quote= George Bush: 'The French don't have a word for 'entrepreneur'.quote]
...says it all!!
...Eh up, Djangologists!
Northern-Neil

Postby Maurice II » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:28 pm

Actually, Albuquerque began as Alburquerque (extra "r"). There have been moves to revive the old spelling, just to make things worse. Nobody here calls it "Albuquerk." Hispanic hipsters call it "bour-keh" (no "a")

The Romane package I have includes CD and a fat book. I've ignored the CD. Sorry to confuse poor mwillikins.

No DVD. I'm old fashioned: I bought the ancient publication in 2002.

The book is great if you want to study Romane's own "Ombre" pieces, less so you want to learn pieces more closely identified with Django, jazz, or gypsies generally. However it's
not designed to teach pieces so much as to teach method.
Maurice II

Postby nwilkins » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:33 pm

You really are a complete idiot Maurice - he asked about the DVD which is something COMPLETELY SEPARATE from the book and CD you have. What makes you think you have confused me?
nwilkins

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar