Staccato or legato?

The first thirty years are the worst

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Staccato or legato?

Postby djangology » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:48 pm

Would you consider the gypsy jazz picking style as legato or staccato? Do these terms even apply when speaking about the gypsy approach to picking?
djangology

Staccato

Postby Jan Primus » Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:06 pm

I think it most definitely leans toward staccato although some of Django's licks are certainly fluid. Even when it flows nicely, it is crisp and clean.
Jan Primus

Postby justjack » Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:56 am

Agreed. It seems to depend mostly on the atmosphere generated by the tune itself...some are staccato, some legato, some both. For instance, a good deal of tunes begin with a rubato or legato intro, then, at the head, launch into a relatively staccato melody. I'll See You in My Dreams, maybe, would be a good example.
justjack
Mad For It

Postby djangology » Thu May 15, 2003 3:42 pm

yeah, well i am right now putting Chez Jacquet into Powertab as my own arrangement and i am needing to put a few stoccato notes in there during the song and they seem to be used to create some tension before a quick triplet usually.... sorta cool how that stoccato thing works... also during the B part of Montagne Ste. Genevieve i believe the first bar is all stoccato notes... and thats sorta intresting also because tension is being strung at that point in the song...
djangology

Return to How to play Gypsy Jazz guitar