Django in Anvers/Antwerp 29 Dec 1947

Discussion on Django and his contemporaries

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Django in Anvers/Antwerp 29 Dec 1947

Postby Bflat » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:50 pm

I've come across the programme for the Quintette's concert in Anvers/Antwerp, Belgium, 29 December 1947. You'll find a pdf attached. The list of tunes includes something called "Brouillard", which seems to be unrecorded by Django unless under a different title of course.

Also, what's interesting is the scribble of the third page of the programme. I wish to think that someone kept notes during or immediately after the concert.
It's obviously written in Dutch or Flemish. Anyone out there that can decipher & translate to English?

Django Anvers 1947.pdf
(223.65 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
It's just a matter of opinion...
Bflat

Re: Django in Anvers/Antwerp 29 Dec 1947

Postby Antoine » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new here.
Translation of the handwritten text goes something like:

“Yesterday appeared in front of the limelight in this hall the Quintette du Hot Club De France. This ensemble, already regarded as the best European jazz formation before the war, hounoured its fame before an enthousiast audience.
What this fivesome brings can not be called 100 % pure jazz music. However, their very distinct representation of well known jaz-classics and numbers of their own, is very tastefull and of a high standard.
This is mainly due to the influence from gypsy Dj. R. In violinist St. Gr. & especially the famous guitar virtuoso Django Reinhardt, this group posseses two solists of pure carat.”

A.
Antoine

Re: Django in Anvers/Antwerp 29 Dec 1947

Postby Bflat » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:51 pm

Bflat wrote:Translation of the handwritten text goes something like:

“Yesterday appeared in front of the limelight in this hall the Quintette du Hot Club De France. This ensemble, already regarded as the best European jazz formation before the war, hounoured its fame before an enthousiast audience.
What this fivesome brings can not be called 100 % pure jazz music. However, their very distinct representation of well known jaz-classics and numbers of their own, is very tastefull and of a high standard.
This is mainly due to the influence from gypsy Dj. R. In violinist St. Gr. & especially the famous guitar virtuoso Django Reinhardt, this group posseses two solists of pure carat.”

Thanks, Antoine! Just like I suspected the text is an eyewitness account of some lucky devil in Antwerp 1947... 8)

There must be more of programmes like this out there! Anyone else who wants to share the treasures?
It's just a matter of opinion...
Bflat

Return to Django