Argentines

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Argentines

Postby Ahab » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:39 pm

Hi there,

Does anyone out there have any tips on making a set of Argentine's last more than 4 days?!

Seem to go dead after 30 hrs of playing. I love the sound but Savarez should really do some investment in getting their strings to last longer! I'm spending £20 a month on these strings, that's £240 a year!!
It's not the size of your guitar, it's what you do with it that counts.
Ahab

Re: Argentines

Postby deuxdoigtsgauches » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:28 pm

You could give the strings a wipe down on both sides after you play each time, or use some better strings. I've been using those John Pearce 'Nuages' strings for a few years and they sound just like argentines to me, but last much longer.
deuxdoigtsgauches

Postby pinkgary » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:04 pm

Yeah, i changed to Philip Bosset strings about a year ago, c'os i just got fed up with Argies. I prefer the sound & playability (more tension) of the Bossets on my guitar as well.

BONUS

Try some of the other makes, they're all better made than the Argentines.. See what fits.
Keep music Evil
pinkgary

Postby petermonkey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:47 pm

What? You play for seven and a half hours a day? You must be pretty good by now! D'Addario all day long, none of your fancy shite!
petermonkey

Postby crookedpinky » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:22 am

I'm with Pinkgary - go with Phillipe Bosset. If you keep an eye out on t'internet you can get them for about £8 or £9 and they do last longer - typically for me three times as long as Argies and you don't get the unravelling G string problem. Sound wise they're very similar to Argies and work well on all the guitars I tried them on.

Alan
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby Ricardo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:03 pm

I've found that the Argentines are suddenly a lot better. I haven't had a parting G for ages and the strings seem to go on for a long time if you really wipe them after each use. Maybe wash your hands before playing in case you have highly corrosive sweat. I also use fast fret after each use.
Ricardo

Postby neill » Fri May 06, 2011 4:36 pm

Can any of you suggest a good supplier for the Bosset strings, I tried online but they wouldn't let me buy any less than 4 sets (25 euro delivery minimum) then wanted another 15 euro for delivery and another 9 for something else.. that was Woodbrass.com ...
neill

Postby crookedpinky » Sun May 08, 2011 7:21 am

PM me and let me know what gauge you want and if loop ends are ok, I've got a small excess supply of Bossets which I'm selling at reasonable prices
Alan
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby Ahab » Mon May 09, 2011 6:36 pm

petermonkey wrote:What? You play for seven and a half hours a day? You must be pretty good by now! D'Addario all day long, none of your fancy shite!

Ok math was never my strong point! But I practice alot, and the Argies go dead very very quickly! Out of all the other string companies out there which come closest to Argentines in tone? I do think that they sound the best, I've tried D'Addario; too thick sounding, John Pearse Nuages; not sparkly enough. Are the Bossets the closest in tone then?
It's not the size of your guitar, it's what you do with it that counts.
Ahab

Postby crookedpinky » Wed May 11, 2011 6:07 pm

HI Neill

I dont know if my messages have been sent through to you so I wondered if the strings have arrived yet ?

Alan
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby neill » Wed May 11, 2011 11:20 pm

No not yet i'm afraid.. i got all your messages i think.. wouldn't be surprised if paypal have sent them to my old address however, i'm going there on friday night so hopefully it will all work out.
neill
neill

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..