Anastasio Guitars

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Anastasio Guitars

Postby Swing This! » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:07 pm

Does anyone have any info re Pierre Anastasio and his guitars. I've done an internet search but there's not much out there? are they considered collectors guitars?

Who else on this forum has an Anastasio guitar? I would appreciate hearing what year, body style Selmer or Favino; general sound/ playability/ type of tuners / woods...etc...cheers Phil
Swing This!

Re: Anastasio Guitars

Postby crookedpinky » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:05 pm

I've got one - it's a real strange beast as you can see from the pictures. It's got a maple body and neck. The neck is a bog standard 670mm scale but feels like a Les Paul shape, width etc. This is further compunded by the inlays and the headstock shape. The mosy obvious difference between this and others guitars is the soundhole which is round and heavily decorated.

I've had a feel inside and it seems to have an extra brace on the top - nor does it have a truss rod. The label states it was built in December 1986.
I swapped a hand built 12fret to the body d-hole as I found it too small and wanted soemthing bigger - paradoxically the guy I swapped it with for the Anastasio is bigger than me, with much bigger hands but wanted something smaller.

It's crurrently needing fret crowning but plays easily and records well - it definitely has that dry gypsy sound and it's pretty round.

I've found out very little about Pierre Anastasio other than the fact that he's dead but you can see what looks like here - he looks pretty cool in his vest
http://www.jpw.fr/guitare/anastasio/pages/04.html

Anyway, I'd be fascinated to hear more about the guy. Oh and I believe Angelo Debarre used and Anastasio on some of his albums ( when he was supposed to be endorsing someone elses guitars )
Attachments
DSCF4984.JPG
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Re: Anastasio Guitars

Postby Swing This! » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Thanks for the reply; great looking guitar-certainly different. I just got a nice old Anastasio 14fret petit bouche; it's has a Favino size body, though slightly narrower and sounds like a mix between a Busato and a Favino. Has that sound of Tchan Tchou's guitar...great vintage GJ sound; which makes me surprised not to read more about them on the forums. I put a post also on Django books with no replies to date. cheers Phil
Swing This!

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..