Strings....anyone tried these...?

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Strings....anyone tried these...?

Postby tonewheelkev » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:04 pm

Hunting around for a good buy....found these

http://www.webstrings.com/gypsy.html

....and wondered if anyone has tried 'em :?: .....they're certainly cheap enough!! :D

Kev
Actually in the process of making a Selmer style guitar at present!
Experience of acoustic Blues/Hawaiian...and own 30's Gibson L00, 20's Weissenborn...among other things!
tonewheelkev

Re: Strings....anyone tried these...?

Postby crookedpinky » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:58 am

Looks interesting, cheap enough on there own but when you look at the shipping charge and international charge they add on it soon out adds to the cost. And then of course there'll be VAT on top if the orders over £18 and - if the Post Office do what they usually do - they'll add an £8 handling charge. If you were to buy enough to keep you under the £18 limit for VAT and the handling charge then the postage ($6) and the companies own 16% charge for international orders adds even more to the string cost. If you were to buy in bulk the reduction in cost per packet is outweighed by the VAT applied on import.

Having said all that I'm going to order some to see if they're any good.

My own preference for strings - comparable to Argentines - is Phillipe Bosset. If you buy in bulk and at the right time the price for these can get down as low as £6.50 and as they coem from France tehre's no VAT nonsense involved. I like them because soundwise they're very close to Argies but last three times lonegr and the G strings hardly ever wear through.

I'll post some feedback once the strings arrive
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Re: Strings....anyone tried these...?

Postby crookedpinky » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:32 pm

I bought some of these Webstrings amd put a set on my Anastasio - they seem Argentine like only time will tell how they settle in and last but initial impressions are good.
However as I said previously if I can source Philippe Bosset or Argentines for roughly the same or just a bit more then I'd go for those in preference. Just habit I suppose.
Alan
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..