Fylde Egyptian

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Fylde Egyptian

Postby shroop » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:38 pm

I'm really keen to try out one of these guitars - although its described on the Fylde website as designed for Dajngo style solo playing a study of the tech spec reveals that it they string them with regular strings. Does anyone here use one for gypsy jazz? Does anyone have one they might want to sell even?

http://www.fyldeguitars.com/guitars.html
shroop

Postby pinkgary » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:21 am

That's a nice looking guitar. It's probably the 648mm scale length that makes normal acoustic strings more appropriate for it. Even the .11 argies would clack around on it quite a bit.

I've heard one of their dreadnought style guitars, and it was pretty fine.
Keep music Evil
pinkgary

Postby lnb » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:15 pm

i have one and its fantastic, my main guitar is a le voi but the fylde is great a different sound than macs but good all the same. dont worry about strings , in my opinion its all bollocks i use regulsr bronze strings anyway...sound good to me and easier to get hold of.
I once went to a Tchavolo gig and he was using bronze strings that evening.
FRET AND FIDDLE

www.fretandfiddle.co.uk

"The only way to beat temptation is to give in to it!"
lnb

Postby Gadjo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:55 pm

I'm with you Imb on this. In fact I am doing my gigs on a Collings flat top now with a set of 13-56 bronzes. Dupont VRB is getting wrecked so its in the cupboard.

I've watched videos of myself and it is now apparent I sound like me regardless of what I play. Nylon, bronze or Argies. Should have realized years ago and saved myself a fortune.

The Fylde is a great guitar but sounds like you would imagine (if you get my drift). It needs a set of 12 bronzes to get the top going. It is a cross between an archtop and a flat top IMHO.
Gadjo

Postby shroop » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback - I reckon I'll have to take a trip up to Penrith to try one out for myself. I'm imagining it plays like a Selmer in feel but sounds more like a regular acoustic - more bottom end but perhaps brighter than a standard acoustic. Or have I got that wrong?

I hadn't realised that the scale length of a Selmer Oval hole was so much longer than even the Egyptian, which is on the long side at 648mm. So you're right about the Argies clacking around on the fretboard pinkgary. Has anyone tried the John Pearse Gypsy Jazz strings - much better and longer lasting than the Argies IMHO. I use them on my Killy Nonis after he recommended them to me. And only £7.50 per pack at stringsdirect.com -oops, sounding like I work for them now. End of commercial break!
shroop

Postby pinkgary » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:37 pm

Andy, what about the Aylward nylon you were raving about in june?
Keep music Evil
pinkgary

Postby mikey38 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:06 am

i played a fylde egyptian a couple of years back.Certainly didnt sound like a flat top with low bottom end,quite the opposite.It was like a tin can,very bright like a good selmac should be,loud too.By the way i live in cumbria and i am in no way associated with fylde,Too expensive for me.
mikey38

Re: Fylde Egyptian

Postby PierrotLeFou » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:41 pm

I regularly use John Pearse 10s on a standard scale length guitar, they don't "clack around" at all.
PierrotLeFou

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..