Strings and intonation problems

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Postby plook » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:31 pm

Have strings ever been associated with intonation problems? I've tried three sets of brand new Newtone (2 silver and 1 nickel) on my Dell 'Arte Pigalle and the only way i can get the intonation right is by moving the bridge back 7mm away from the moustache - which looks weird. The intonation was fine before i tried these strings. Can strings do this? What other strings should i try?
Attachments
IMG_0361.jpg
plook

Postby Ricardo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:19 pm

Hi, yes, I've had a set of dodgy strings before which did exactly the same.
I've never used Newtone strings , but would recommend Savarez Argentines or Galli strings. Argentines are the standard string for this music and their quality does seem to have improved over the last couple of years. Cheers.
Ricardo

Postby plook » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:48 pm

I've just put a set of Galli's on and have the same problem. I'm at my wit's end.
plook

Postby Ricardo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:48 pm

sounds like it may be time to pop your guitar to a tech for a set up.
Ricardo

Postby plook » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:01 pm

I agree.Thanks
plook

Re: Strings and intonation problems

Postby steaveford » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:56 pm

I have never used Newton strings, but Argentine or recommend SAVAREZ Galli strings. Argentines are the default string for this song and its quality does not seem to have improved over the past year.
steaveford

Re: Strings and intonation problems

Postby Zoot » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:01 pm

Looking at your bridge I would say you could do with a replacement. They seem to have assumed that your guitar would be intonation perfect with a straight bridge.
You've already proved there is an improvement when offset so why not get that built into your bridge.
Attachments
aylward-bridge.jpg
Hand made bridge by Rob Aylward
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Zoot
Site Admin

Postby GabrielRex » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:54 am

I have had intonation problems with the Savarez Alliance high tension 1st string in the past. I switched to Oasis high tension carbon and problem solved. Never had any intonation problems on the 2nd and 3rd strings of any brand.

In general, though, if your guitars saddle and/or nut has been intonated for nylon strings, the intonation may be off when switching to the smaller diameter carbon strings.
GabrielRex

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..