CSL Gypsy ...sagging top !

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

CSL Gypsy ...sagging top !

Postby luderick » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:05 am

G'day all,
I've just purchased a CSL 'Gypsy' Guitar from about 1977...Its a nice Guitar in good condition and sounds good ( to my newcomers ears ! )..
One thing is troubling me though..The top (soundboard) has sagged a bit,maybe about 2 mm, from the downward pressure of the strings...It doesnt seem to affect its playability..action is good,no fret buzz and intonation good..
Am I worried about nothing ?? ..is this a normal thing to happen to a Guitar as it ages ?.....Is it going to fall apart :shock: ???...should I just 'live with it' and not worry ?
Thanks to you........
Get on with it mate ..
luderick

Postby crookedpinky » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:32 pm

I wouldnt worry too much - just enjoy it. Mind you keep an eye on it and if it drops any further then ....worry

Alan

PS Waht are you stringing it up with ?
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby luderick » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:15 am

Hey,how about that...I've got a crooked pinky as well :) two of 'em actually !!
Thanks for your reply Alan ( there's a real paucity of replies on this web site :( ) ..
The strings I put on the Guitar are Phillippe Bosset ,hand made in France...10 to 46 gauge..
I've been in contact with the shop that I bought the Guitar from and If they offer a refund ,I'll serously consider it..
I like things to be 'right' and even though I like the Guitar I know that it's not 'right' and I think that'll get to me after while and do my head in :? ..
A bit of a bummer this,as I was keen on this Guitar and if it goes back ,then I'll be with out a GJ style axe....'spose I'll cope.. i have a Seagull Guitar that I can use..
So..well wait and see....
Best wishes from OZ.....Charlie...
Get on with it mate ..
luderick

Postby crookedpinky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:02 am

Hi there, I love those Bosset strings - I think they're excellent, great sound - they last longer than Argies and have a warmer sound.

Funnily enough I also have an Aria MM D hole - I got itfor £90 because it has a sagging top so it was classed as B stock. I've had for two years and in that time the top has not moved and I treat it as a workbench for experiments - so far I've

stripped the top using Nitrromors
removed the extension over the sound hole
fitted three or four different pickups

and it still sounds great to my ears - although there are some who think these Arias are total rubbish.

At the end of the day if you know the guitar will eventually start to drive you mad then you're probably right to change it.

Cheers
Alan
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby pinkgary » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:03 am

Hey Alan,

Where do you get those Bosset strings from?
Keep music Evil
pinkgary

Postby crookedpinky » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:37 am

I usually get them from a French outfit called Woodbrass - if you watch the site you can often find them for @ 8 euros. I've bout in bulk to get over the 139 euro limit for free postage. If you buy just one or two packets the postage bumps up the cost.

I dont think they have Bossets at the moment but you can find Argies at Woodbrass here

http://en.woodbrass.com/index.php?cPath ... ter_id=312

check the price of the argies, cheap or what but again only if you buy enough to spread the cost of the postage.

I really like the Bossets, slightly warmer sound than Argies but definitely last longer, even the G string - the winding showed no sign of unravelling after 3 weeks of playing.

Happy hunting
Alan
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby pinkgary » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:31 am

Thanks for that.

Does "normal tension" mean .11's, and the "light tension" mean .10's?
Keep music Evil
pinkgary

Postby crookedpinky » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:43 pm

Generally that seems to be the case, but to be sure I always look for numbers if they've got them.

I'm a big fan of the Bossets by the way, to me they sound a bit warmer than Argies initially but dont wear out as quickly and - for me - usually last two to three times longer than Argies or Gallis

Alan
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..