Wegen Pick Material

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Wegen Pick Material

Postby deuxdoigtsgauches » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:22 pm

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone knows what material the white wegen picks are made out of? After using a wegen fatone for the last 3 years I got given an elk horn Dugain pick at Samois and I'm really getting on well with it. I didn't think I would at first because of the slighly different position you have to hold it in with the little curved groove on the underside, but after a few days I found it's really loosened up my wrist and hold on the plectrum and I can fly through passages I'd normally trip up on with the wegen (and it's not the annual post samois 3 week improvement, I've tried playing with the wegen and it still doesn't feel as nimble). Anyway the thing is I really like the tone of the wegen and I'd like to get a Dugain in the same material, does anyone know what it is?
deuxdoigtsgauches

Postby Caballero » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:55 am

The stuff is a composite used in the manufacture of fillings/teethy things and/or giant models of creatures such as our largest mammal, the blue whale, which you find in museums etc. Michel has always been cagey about the exact formula, fair-dos, it's his business.
Have you considered that the reason you're pulling off the phrases is because you're using a thinner pick?
I recommend tortoise, nothing like it. Worth every penny and there are geezers out there selling/customising them.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby deuxdoigtsgauches » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:06 pm

yeah the reduced thickness definitely helps a lot, but I think it's more that extra little bit of length so I can swing my hand around a bit more on the upstrokes, combined with holding it a little bit further towards the tip of my thumb I dunno it's hard to put into words, but I've been getting on really well with it. Cheers for your help, I'll have a look into tortoiseshell as well. Do you know if you can still get it anywhere, or whether you need to get hold of a load of old combs and cigar holders and cannibalise them?
deuxdoigtsgauches

Postby Ricardo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:54 pm

Yes , i'd appreciate a link to the tortoise picks if there is one please.
Ricardo

Postby Caballero » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:07 pm

A mate of mine makes and sells them, he's probably going to Goss. Also, the lot that make 'em on the Island at Samois, have got a website, all legal etc. Unfortunately, I can't remember the company name because the mojitos had well and truly kicked in by then. Chin-chin everybody!
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby GrimFandjango » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:06 am

Given the information provided by Caballero's Mojito-blurred memories and few minutes in Google, I think that this may be the purveyor in question. I will be giving them a call myself.

-G
-The right note is only ever a half step away.
GrimFandjango

Postby Ricardo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:32 am

sorry, were you going to add a link there? :D
Ricardo

Postby GrimFandjango » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:05 pm

Sorry, maybe a bit too subtle but it is embedded in the word "this" in my original post. Click on it. I guess I tried to get too fancy. :)

I sent an email to them last night, hopefully I get a reply with some pricing. Hopefully they ship to the U.S.. I'm not too sure about the legality of it.

-G
-The right note is only ever a half step away.
GrimFandjango

Postby Ricardo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:12 pm

Thanks - I guess my eyesight is past its best!
Ricardo

Re Wegen picks

Postby crookedpinky » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi there, we've been experimenting with home made picks in the Glasgow Hot Club. We believe Wegens are made from either Acetal or Delrin - we're just not sure if they are machined or moulded or a combination.

Anyway one of the guys is selling the home made ones on ebay at the moment. They're great but vary in the sound they produce however for the money it's worth buying a bunch and getting 3 or 4 that you like the sound of.

Here's the link
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gypsy-jazz-guitar ... 1|294%3A50
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Re: Re Wegen picks

Postby CSL Gypsy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:56 pm

crookedpinky wrote:We believe Wegens are made from either Acetal or Delrin

Jim Dunlop's are made out of Delrin

http://www.jim-dunlop.co.uk/index/708.1 ... 6133.0.0.0

To me, Wegen's are a different - a bit harder, more slippery....someone must know what plastic it is!
CSL Gypsy

Postby crookedpinky » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:30 pm

I bought a bar of acetal and - to me - it is so similar to the big W's it makes no difference. Delrin feels softer to my delicate fingers.

Both acetal and delrin can be moulded around 180-200 degrees. My first attempts at moulding a bridge weren't that successful as I used our kitchen oven and I just didnt get it hot enough for long enough and used a shit mould made from modelling clay.

My rationale was that if the plastic was good enough to be used as a credible and acceptable alternative for ebony in woodwind instruments may be I could use it to make a selmer style bridge and in the process mould in cavities for a piezo element - a la Big Tone. If I get the time I'll try this again and post the results

Cheers
The Crookedpinky
crookedpinky

Postby Caballero » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:06 pm

:) guys, get yesselfs a tortoise.
Caballero
Moderator on Probation

Postby lnb » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:55 am

bit cruel on the old tortoise.
FRET AND FIDDLE

www.fretandfiddle.co.uk

"The only way to beat temptation is to give in to it!"
lnb

picks

Postby louismanouche » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 am

Dear All,

I'm quite a fan of the John Pearse buffalo horn picks (available from Hobgoblin last time I bought some). They have a index finger groove that helps grip in my opinion and they wear down smoothly.
I'm definitely going to look into those turtle shell picks though, thanks for the pointer!
louismanouche

Next

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..