Another truss rod question..

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Another truss rod question..

Postby neill » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:21 am

Hi, I play a Dupont MD60 that I bought at Samois 05.. I've noticed that there's quite a lot of relief in the neck.. I just read that it shouldn't bow more than the width of a b string.. mine's over the width of the low e.. I tried to adjust the truss but i don't know which way to turn it.. the truss actually is completely slack.. it even rattles in the neck.. any advice would be much appreciated?
neill

Postby Gadjo » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:45 am

You have a few options. If you are unsure about what to do give it to a professional guitar tech or better still (if you are coming to Samois this year) give the guitar and adjuster tool to the Dupont guys on the stand!!

If you fancy having a go yourself firstly check the rod still has the nut on it that you will be tightening. I say this because if it is loose it may have vibrated off. Assuming it is just loose take up any slack by tightening clockwise - do this with the strings on. As you feel any resistance stop and check. If you need more tension to correct relief beyond 10 thou of an inch go very slowly no more than half a turn without checking.
DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING. If it becomes hard work or force is required STOP. It is at this point rods snap or things get damaged.

Under normal circumstances it is OK for a player to fine tune an instrument. Things move due to different string choices, weather, etc. I also put more relief in the neck if I am doing a rhythm gig - as the string clearance makes for a cleaner, louder guitar. If I am soloing I prefer a straighter neck - and tightening also drops the action overall making the guitar generally easier to play.

A rattling rod in your neck!!?? If nothing else an adjustment will make the guitar sound better.
Gadjo

Postby neill » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:40 am

thanks for the info gadjo, i had tightened it the other way.. i didn't force anything though.. i did what you advised and it's made an immediate and beneficial difference.. the action feels a world better too.. so thanks.. :D
neill

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..