My new guitar has been damaged..Help!! and string advice.

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

My new guitar has been damaged..Help!! and string advice.

Postby Colin P » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:24 am

I recently bought a new Gitane DG-250M, after reading messages on this forum etc, I decided to change the strings to Argentine 11's. Whilst the guitar was on the side in the kitchen it was accidentally knocked off a unit (not by me!) where I was about to string it, and it fell about four foot onto a hard concrete vinyl covered floor, it seems to have cracked the coating on one corner, about six inches along, but I'm not sure if the crack has gone through to wood, also I looked inside the guitar using a torch and it appears to have a crack inside, but again I can't determine if it?s the glue or structural, it needs a urgent visit to my guitar tech. Since I've fitted the new strings I've noticed the guitar seems quieter but not sure if this is down to the new strings or some possible damage, any advice would be appreciated.
Colin P

Postby Cattermole » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:33 am

Get it looked at. There might be nothing wrong, but you won't be happy playing it until you know.
"...somebody correct me please if i have said bullshits"
Cattermole

Postby Colin P » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:07 am

Cattermole wrote:Get it looked at. There might be nothing wrong, but you won't be happy playing it until you know.

You're right there, I can't beleive it happened and i won't be happy until it's looked at or fixed, I really look after my guitars, unfortunatley I didn't allow for my five year old neice!

I'm still wondering if the Argentine strings are quieter than the stings the Gitane came with, or is that a silly question?
Colin P

Postby Ganondorf » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:54 pm

Super glue for repair,
Brandy for you! :D
Ganondorf

Postby Colin P » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:15 pm

I took it to the guitar tech today, he said it's repairable, it does have a small crack but he doesn't think it will be a problem to sort out plus he needs to match in the pattern, he doesn't think the volume or my perception of it! by the damage, he feels that if there is any lose it's down to change in strings.
Colin P

Postby Ricardo » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:38 am

If you have contents insurance on your house - you may well be able to claim. My bandmate lost his DG250 in a fatal knock down the stairs by his dog. He now has a nice Manouche D hole in compensation.
Ricardo

Postby Colin P » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:45 pm

Thanks Ricardo, it's still with the guitar tech at the moment, but the damage is mainly cosmetic and repairable, but thanks for the idea regarding the insurance, a nice Manouche would be good. :wink:
Colin P

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..