Got a Gitane DG-250M

Yahoo this way.......

Moderators: Zoot, Teddy Dupont

Got a Gitane DG-250M

Postby Jeremy » Wed May 23, 2007 1:30 am

After looking around for a guitar I could afford for a while, I found a good deal on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Gitane-DG-250M-Gypsy-Jazz-Guitar-Birdseye-Maple-W-Mods_W0QQitemZ290116707014QQihZ019QQcategoryZ2385QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I didn't meet the reserve price, but the guy selling the guitar said I could have it for $500 US, although his reserve was still higher than that. Plus the $50 US shipping to Canada makes $550 for a DG-250M with upgraded tuners+tailpiece with a full set up. I think that's a pretty good deal, can't wait for it to arrive.

Should I upgrade the bridge once I have enough money?
Jeremy

Postby Stackabones » Wed May 23, 2007 4:16 am

Sounds like a great deal! Congrats!

You haven't heard the guitar, right? I'd wait and hear it before I'd start budgeting for upgrades.

When do you get it?
Stackabones

Postby Jeremy » Wed May 23, 2007 12:15 pm

It'll probably come here in a week or so.
Jeremy

Postby Heretic » Wed May 23, 2007 2:58 pm

I took a look at the photos of your instrument. It's a beauty. I believe that the bridge is already an upgraded one, as are the tailpiece and the tuners.
Heretic

Postby BluesBopHarry » Thu May 24, 2007 7:15 am

Congratulations!!!Looks great, really great deal too.

But it still has the stock bridge.
I'd play the guitar for a couple of weeks to get a feel of where would you like the action, and then definitely get a new bridge.
I waited two years before upgrading the bridge on my Gitane, and I can tell you I waited two years too long.
I got mine from www.gypsyjazz.net I ordered a rosewood one painted black (ebonized) and they made it to my specs, my action is now at 4+mm and although was hard to play at first I got used to it and the tone is really worth it.
By the way it was only $34 US!
You can get other replacements at www.djangobooks.com and www.gypsyguitars.com

Enjoy!!!
BluesBopHarry

Return to Guitars picks and strings etc..